Solved

Inventory Part creation record

• 25 February 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hello, 

I am looking for a way to determine what user created an Inventory Part. There doesn’t appear to be a history tab or any obvious field where this information is captured. 

I believe I could turn on History Logging and set the PART_NO field to record all inserts, but I’m hoping there is an easier way in the system to tell which user created any IP. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

icon

Best answer by ShawnBerk 25 February 2021, 21:07

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

No, there isn’t.  History Log is your only choice.  It isn’t that hard to setup and it is super useful.  We have tons of things logged for exactly the same reason you are trying to look at the info.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi @ShawnBerk,

I understand that it logs a lot of useful information, but please be aware that it could cause performance problems too. As the number of records in the history logs increases it would take increasingly larger times to insert a record. The feature should be used with caution and only for the Logical units where its must. In Support, we have come across general performance problems where finally it had a tie with a History log.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi @cjohnson ,

Why don’t you try using Custom Field and Custom event to update the IP Created user?

Regards,

Akila

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi @AkilaR,

Using the history log feature is much better compared to using a custom event as it should also trigger an external API that is different from the normal execution flow.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi @infaz ,

Thank you for the Info. But isn’t it avoiding any performance impact that might be caused due to load of History log created?

Regards,

Akila

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi Akila,

It has to still insert data to another table, isn’t it? more or less the same, since history logs are already implemented in IFS there is less hassle. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi Infaz,

Yes, Agree with you. Thank you for the info.

Regards,

Akila

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Thanks all for the feedback. I believe I will use the History Log for inserts, as we are not creating a large number of parts, my assumption would be that this is not going to impact the system to log these records and retain them for a long period of time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

While I say we have tons of things logged - and we do - we also do it incrementally and in a controlled manner so that we can monitor for performance issues.  We try to avoid things like notes, long text fields, or other non-indexed fields or ones that change frequently.  There needs to be some business justification to turn on the log entry and typically also a need to do forensic investigation.  We have not noticed performance problems for both insert and update of customer details, some important inventory part attributes (lead time for example), customer order header changes, etc.  All things that at some point have created a business problem due to not understanding why the change was made.  For some changes that are very critical, we’ve even gone so far as to add a further email event to send the before and after change information to a select group for immediate review of the change.