Question

How to edit "Revision No" field

• 5 August 2020
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi,

I have a question about creating new revisions, which is done to facilitate the change of a component from purchased to manufactured (and vice versa). 

The underlying aim is to find the cleanest way to ensure MRP calls for the correct part type (i.e. generating the desired requisition type).

Current Practice

At present, a new revision is created (ref. page, ‘Eng Revisions’ → column ‘Eng Rev’). Following that, phase out dates are inserted by the user (ref. ‘Inventory Part’ → tab ‘Revisions’) against all the preceding revisions (and the purchased and manufactured templates they encompass).

Hence, when MRP runs, it’ll have no choice other than calling for the desired part type. Because all else is off the table, by inserting phase out dates.

Suggestion/Question

I believe we shouldn’t have to up-issue a part just to reflect it’s status change from purchased to manufactured (and vice versa). 

There are 2 relevant columns here - ‘Revision’ and ‘Revision No’. Can a user edit the field ‘Revision No’ whilst retaining the value given in the column ‘Revision’. The idea would be, if part X moves from manufactured to supplied via a contractor, the revision would say at 1, however, the revision no. would change from 1 to 2.

I’m being told the value given in ‘Revision No’ is purely automated. So the only element that can be controlled is Revision. If so, what determines how IFS attributes ‘Revision No’. If this can’t be edited, I’d like some understanding to how it is calculated and assigned.

I appreciate this a a long post-  it is a long-standing problem affecting my department, so any insight would be great!

Many thanks,

Jay

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

From the Help on Part Revision(s):

Revision No
The revision number of the part. If the part has had several revisions, the revision number will be stated. The revision number is automatically generated by the system. This is the number that designates a current or past version of a part or assembly. If IFS/Manufacturing Standards is not installed, the Part Revision value is set to 1. If IFS/Manufacturing Standards is installed, the value is retrieved from the Revision No field on the Manufacturing Standards/Part Revision and Attributes/Part Revision window. When registering purchase order arrival the value is retrieved from the respective purchase order line. For a number of transactions where a relevant revision number cannot be set, e.g., inventory revaluation, direct shipment from supplier to customer, and consignment stock, the value is set to blank or an asterisk (*). You can change this value if more than one revision for this part exists.

There is no real need to change the Revision when switching from Purchased to Manufactured. The revision is intended to show the form, fit, function of the part and when it has changed in any way.  The Inventory Part type should have no effect on the revision or design of the part unless it has to be modified in some fashion to allow a supplier to provide.  The idea should be that a Planner can switch a part between Purchased and Manufactured at will provided they have both a full product structure and routing to allow internal manufacture and a Supplier/Purchase Part/Supplier for Purchase Part supply route available for purchase scenario.  MRP will provide a requisition for whichever state the part is in at the time MRP runs.  

Revision and updating the number really serves no purpose for your scenario.  As for changing the revision number itself, we’ve found it best to just leave IFS carry the revision forward incrementing from 1.  Unless of course you are driving this from Manufacture Standards/Part Revision, in which case you should be able to manually set the revision according to your own schema (whether A, B, C, A.1, A.2, A.3 or just 1, 2, 3, or even 1.1. 1.2, 1.3, etc)