Solved

Change work center on shop order with control plan

• 20 November 2019
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi all,

Often when we have created a shop order, we would like to change a work center.

That is no problem, when there is no control plan.

When there is a control plan, it seems to become a mammoth task, involving new control revision, new alternative/changing rountings, conflicting dates etc.

What is best practice on this? 

icon

Best answer by Damitha Peiris 29 November 2019, 07:10

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi Hans,

I hope you have a set of work centers which you can use for similar type of operations. Since work centers are connected to control plans, this issue is occurring to you.

My advice is to have different Routing Alternatives with different Work Centers. Then you can have different Control Plans for different Alternatives and you can use those alternatives as per your requirement of Work Center in Shop Orders. This is kind of a preventive plan.

Steps:

Create a Manufacturing part then Routing.

RMB on tab level (second level) of Routing window>Copy Alternatives>Check the new or Destination Alternative number and press Ok.

Change the Work Center in Operation line>RMB Buildable.

RMB on the tab level of Created Routing Alternative>Go to Control Plans.

In Control Plan window, hit plus and add mandatory basic data along with your correct or new Routing Alternative>Save

Add the Control plan line level information>Save and make your Control Plan Active.

Now in Shop Order window create a new>add mandatory data such as Part number, Lot size and Need date. Before you save the Shop Order, add the new or correct routing alternative number (in details tab)>Save

Now you can use the dedicated Control plan for your alternative (Work Center).

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi Hans,

My suggestion is to yes - have an alternate-routing defined in your Routing for the Manufactured Part. Then, include a pre-defined Control Plan with reference to the new Routing-Alternate.

In your scenario, you mentioned that you have already created the Shop Order. If the Shop Order is in Planned or Released state, you could use the Update Routing Revision and/or Alternate RMB option on the Shop Order header to swiftly change the Routing to the Alternate with the other work center.

Best regards,

Damitha

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@daprlk 

I was hoping for something simpler.

Changing workcenter is something that offend happens on the shop floor for that shop order only. At that late stage in the process we are not interested in new routings and  control plan. It has not values. It only slow us down.

But thanks for your effort and answers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If the work centers are interchangeable you can also consider having one work center with multiple resources instead.

On the shop order operation you can optionally select what resource to use (set Preferred Resource), or accept the assigned one. Shop Floor can select to start the operation on another resource if they want which will automatically reschedule the operation to this resource

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Björn Hultgren 

The problem is that the work centers are not always interchangeable.

Something like “alternative workcenters” connected to the routing operation would be great (wink, wink).

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I see @Hans Andersen , in that case you will need to setup routing alternates for each work center (as per current solution...)

Badge +5

Hello there,

I would like to ask a complementary question to this old topic. 

In cases when I have mandatory control planes and I need to do a Rework shop order. Lets say that this rework can be done on a different Work Center than the ones which I already have a Control Plan set up. How do I proceed? Do I have to create a Control Plan for a one-time-thing or is there any other possibilities. Since this is a rework, it is quite obvious that the parts have to be controlled in a specific manner after the shop order is done. 

Any inputs on what the best practice here would be?

As always, thanks for the valuable help!