Question

Alternate Parts Functionality

• 15 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

We are looking into using the Alternate Parts Functionality.  What is the difference between setting up the Alternate Part on the Part Master / Alternative Parts tab and the other two screens (Alternate Purchase Part Base Data and Alternate Purchase Part Base Date). 

While testing, it seems that

1. entries made on the Part Master screen don’t have any underling functionality other than copying the information to the alternate part.  No information appears on the Alternate Purchase Part Base Data and Alternate Purchase Part Base Date screens.
  2. entries made on the Alternate Purchase Part Base Data and Alternate Purchase Part Base Date screens copy there information back to the Master Parts Tab

I am trying to determine the business process.

I have not seen where any entries on the Alternate Purchase Part Base Data and Alternate Purchase Part Base Date screens effect Customer Orders or Purchase Orders.  

What am I missing here… any info would be appreciated.

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi,

From my experience, adding the Alternate Part to the Master Part and the EPR are for design reference, but it does allow you to then add to the Alternate Components screen. This screen allows you to choose visibility to MRP, and whether it is a one way Alternate or that both can be used to replace each other.

Once added as Alternate Component it is selectable in Product Structures and I presume Purchase Orders.

Cheers,

Wade

Badge +2

Hi

Were you able to use confirmed open Purchase Order for alternate component as supply for original component? Would be useful to find a way, due component shortages are quite common. With my  current knowledge, alternate need to be in the inventory to be used/netted in MRP. 

Thanks

Mikko

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Mikko,

My error in mentioning Purchase Orders, Alternate Components have to be ordered separately so that they can then be used when required in assembly.

Alternate Components are only viewable in Product Structures, and selectable in Shop Orders.

Cheers,

Wade