Solved

Copy Part function question

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hello, 

I’m attempting to use the Copy Part feature to copy an Inventory Part, Routing, and Product structure to another site in my system. Currently, we are creating parts in an estimating site that houses all of our work centers, labor classes, etc. Once the parts are finalized, I would like to use the Copy Part function to move those parts to the correct manufacturing site.

I have noticed that the Copy Part function works, however it does not bring over my routing steps. I’ve tried changing the status to Build, but the routing steps still do not appear after the copy. I’m not sure if there is something I’m missing, or if this is how the Copy Part function works when you try to copy to another site. 

The final item I’ve noticed is that you are not able to copy a new Product Structure component part to a new site unless you manually copy the part prior to running the Copy Part from the top level Inventory Part. My assumption was that if you run the Copy Part from the top level, if there are any new component parts in the Product Structure that do not currently exist in the new site, those would simply be copied over when you initiated the Copy Part from the top level part. Is this not the case, and you in fact must manually copy over every single new component part before attempting the top level part copy?

Thank you

icon

Best answer by cjohnson 13 September 2020, 15:32

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hey,

the routings should be copied if the checkbox is set. IFS uses the function Routing_operation_api.Copy_operations as far as i have seen and it allows copying between sites. Issue is probably that some data you are tying to copy does not exist on the target site (e.g. labour class, Setup labour class, work center...).  Have you tried checking the checkbox “run in background” and see if any error/info message pop up in the background job?

As for the second question i am not sure if the job copies multi-level structures. I would assume it does not and it would require a script to achive what you want (create parts bottom to top), but maybe someone else can answer that question with certainty.

i remember we build a flow that copies between sites, but there we check bottom to top and create the structure part by part. Not sure if we do that because of above question or because of another requirement. It’s been a while unfortunatly.

Johannes

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

ok, i had to check now that i am curious. I might have missed something, but when copying the structure i only see a check if the inventory part exists. If it doesn’t it will raise an error:

IF Inventory_Part_API.Check_Exist(to_contract_, lu_rec_.component_part) THEN

…. copy code

else

Error_SYS.Record_General(lu_name_, 'NOCOMPPART: Component part :P1 does not exists on copy to site :P2.'….

So i think it really doesn’t copy multi level structures unless the coponents already exist on target site.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi Johannes, 

Yes, I believe I have the correct copy functions checked for Routing. I have confirmed that the WC, labor classes, etc. all exist in the site I’m copying to. 

I just ran the copy part as a background job, and oddly enough, both jobs appear to complete successfully, however, there is no detail when I RMB and show details on either job. I’ve posted the screen shots. It appears everything copied over again, except the Routing steps. The routing header is created as well.

Ok, thank you for checking on the multi level structures. I believe it may be as you say and they must already exist on the target site for the copy to work.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Yeah, i am not 100% sure About the second part as i only had a quick look and it is easy to miss something. The behaviour for the routings is weird, but i am sure is a reason for it.  You are creating a complete new part on the target side, right?  The alternative you are trying to copy is standard ‘*’ one or another custom alternative?

Maybe someone else can chip in with a bright idea. It’s tricky do see what’s happening without actually debugging it. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Correct, it is a completely new part on the target side. Yes, I’m trying to copy the standard one. 

I’ll continue to test and see if there is something I’m missing on the routing that is causing the copy to fail and update the post if I’m able to resolve. 

Thank you!

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @cjohnson,

Are you creating new parts in another site, just because of missing functionality in Product Estimate. E.g. the Std Lot size?

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hello @Hans Andersen yes. Having the Estimating site allows us to keep the production sites clear of “estimated” parts and structures. We use the site to properly construct the parts, and then copy them to the actual MFG sites with the correct information and part numbers. We’ll use the Estimating module for quotation, and transfer the jobs we’ve won to the estimating site to begin new product introduction. 

One item I’ve noticed yesterday that makes no sense is if I manually create and inventory part, routing, and production structure in the Estimating site, I can Copy Part to a site without issue. It brings over the routings fine. However, if I transfer the part and structure from the Estimating module, and then attempt to Copy Part, the routings will not be brought over. I’m very confused by this, as I’ve done a test and created the part exactly the same in both scenarios, it’s just that routing will not transfer if I’ve transferred from the Estimate module. I may open a case with IFS support at this point. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @cjohnson ,

I am not sure that I can follow your flow, but it sounds too complicated.

I think you are suppose to create new parts like this:

First create the new component parts in Estimate (not top level) with “transfer product” (You will need templates for this).

Hereafter create the top level parts with “Register sales part”:

I was suppose to be testing this right now, but something else came up… and you probably have already tried that.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Hans Andersen,

I have actually never tried it like this before. I was aware of the functions you’re referencing, but had not sequenced them like this. The issue we had was we could not generate a quote for a part without registering the Sales Part first. So, we execute that upstream in the process.

I will review this when I have time. Essentially, our flow is as follows below:

1. Create BO lines/register sales parts
  2. Create Estimate via estimate wizard
  3. Build up structures/components
  4. Push costs back to BO lines and add margin
  5. Create Sales Quote
  6. Mark items as won or lost
  7. We may produce a quote for 150 PNs, but only win 20
  8. We would then transfer those 20 PNs into our “Estimating” site
  9. From there, our Engineering group would make determinations about where the parts would be run (mfg sites), revise routings, structures (if necessary).
  10. Once that was finalized, we wanted to use the Copy Part feature to copy those parts to their respective sites with the revised routings and prod structures. 
  11. We would have a final review before making everything active/buildable. 
Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I think you can make your parts from Estimate. Se my comments below.

1. Create BO lines/register sales parts
    There is no need for creating parts at this stage. “Non-Existence Part” should be fine at this stage.
  2. Create Estimate via estimate wizard
    Yes
  3. Build up structures/components
    It is possible to use existing parts as templates
  4. Push costs back to BO lines and add margin
    Yes
  5. Create Sales Quote
    Sales Quotation (SQ) require existence parts. Since we do not want to create them now, we cannot use SQ. However, BO and Estimate contain all then data we need to make a quote to the customer. We can make a custom report on these data instead.
  6. Mark items as won or lost
    Yes
  7. We may produce a quote for 150 PNs, but only win 20
    No problem. We have not created any parts yet.
  8. We would then transfer those 20 PNs into our “Estimating” site
    “Transfer products” and “Register sales part” should be able to handle this (except for external operations).
    “Transfer products” create routing/structure and inventory part. It runs as a background job and require a transfer template.
    “Register sales part” create the sales part but not routing/structure
Userlevel 6
Badge +17

@Hans Andersen 

Thank you for the suggestions. We had been looking into the possibility of writing a report as you suggested. The issue we faced was that if you bypass the Sales Quotation piece in IFS, do you not lose all of your reporting and metrics on Sales data (won/lost, value, etc.)? I know you can mark BOs/lines as Won or Lost, but our concern is that we would not have any visibility into how many quotes we had with a customer, what their value is, and that all seemed to be contained within the Sales Quote feature in IFS. However, at this point, it has me wondering if it is even worth it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

We are considering doing it like this:

• Make the quotation based on Estimate and BO.
  • If the quotation is won
    • Register/transfer parts
    • Create the SQ
    • Create customer order from SQ

Then we can make reports on our sales pipeline based on Estimate and BO. And still be able to use standard reports for SQ for the quotes that we win.    

We are only evaluating Estimate, but we already know now, that we will have to write a considerable amount of code to make it fit our needs. Hopefully, we only have to do it once.

I do not think it is necessary to make an “Estimate site”. I think it will only add problems. It is an interesting idea, but we will not go down that road.

If you run into problems or consider some solutions, make a new thread and we will have a look at it.

Good luck.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

UPDATE - This issue has been demonstrated and reported to IFS. Their R&D team is currently reviewing. The specific test plan is any part transferred from Estimating module does not correctly copy when using the Copy Part feature in IFS.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

UPDATE - IFS R&D has confirmed this is an issue and will be resolved in UPD 10, which is due to release on December 3rd 2020.