Question

Plan Shop Orders with Labour only

• 17 January 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

It seems that IFS Apps10 only uses Machine Time when planning Manufactured Parts and Shop Orders. How should we plan Manufactured Parts (MRP) and Schedule the resulting Shop Orders with labour only?

We are not using CBS or APB, just Apps10.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @PEFELK 

It is true that only the machine time are used to schedule shop order operations. 

So if you have an operation which requires no machine but only labor, my recommendation is to anyway set machine time for the operation.

The work center in this case would reflect the location where the labor is performed rather than a machine. The machine time would reflect for how long that location is used for the labor. And you would probably set the work center cost to 0. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Thanks Björn, any recommendations on how to report time in this situation? Because I guess reporting on the Labor class won't update the remaining machine time and therefore would result in incorrect planning again?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

As always, what and how to report depends on what you need to follow up. System wise you could just auto report planned hours when receiving the shop order. So it's a bit hard to tell without more information. 

But if you need to have a correct Remaining Machine Time value that is reduced as production completes, you must of course report. Remaining time can either be calculated based on how much quantity that remains, on how much time that has been reported. This is a work center setting. If you base it on quantity the reported machine time won't affect the remaining machine time. But if you base it on reported time, you must report machine time to have the remaining machine time reduced. 

If you report using start-stop from shop floor workbench I don't think it is really any extra effort to report machine together with the labor, it's just another checkbox when starting the time that will be automatically selected if operation is planned with machine time.