Solved

What determines supervisor in Employee File

• 2 February 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hello IFS Community! 

I am a new starter within my organisation and I have worked with other ERP’s, however it’s a new experience trying out IFS and understanding it. 

My question may be very simple for you experts, what determines Employee File → Summary tab → Supervisor field? I suspect that it has to be either: Graphical Organization Structure or Graphical Position Structure, I struggle to clearly understand difference between the two. Please share your knowledge, and if any online resource available it would be great start for me. 

Kind Regards 

Arthur

icon

Best answer by Siri_Bytics 2 February 2021, 12:35

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi Arthur,

it is both, a combination of Organisation and Position assigned. Within your assigned organization unit the direct position above your assigned position (the so called parent position) is your direct supervisor. If this parent position is not assigned to an employee in your organization unit, you will not see any supervisor in employee file. There is a new toggle in APPS10:

Per default the option “Based on immediate parent position” is selected. This is the behaviour mentioned above.

You can change though option to “Based on immediate parent position or above”. In this case in the supervisor field it will be fetched the next higher assigned position, in order to have no empty supervisor field in employee file. Provided that there is any higher position which has been assigned to anybody.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Siri 

I think it makes sense now. I have another case and maybe you could confirm, some employees have no Supervisor because:
a) In positional structure, GREEN is a Supervisor of RED. 
b) but in organizational structure both groups are separate

In this case in Org. Structure RED should be underneath (child to) Green, is that correct, both hierarchies in Organizational and Position Structure must reflect each other? Am I getting this right? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi Arthur,

in your case, you are correct with your assumptions a) and b). In the best case the Organizational Codes and the Position ID’s reflect each other, than the matching is easy and you will be faster in matching the supervisor to the employee. But there are many possibilities how to structure Organization and Position like for instance some customers create a generic position structure. In their case the answer would be different.

So yes, you are getting this:-) 

Best regards,

Siri