Solved

Expense approver and authorizer

• 11 March 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hello,

We are in the process of setting up expense management and we have a few issues due to the way our organisation works.

For example, we have the following structure:

1.Worker

​​​​​​​2.Leader

3.Project Manager

4.Area Manager

If the Worker does an expense sheet, the Leader approves it and Project Manager authorizes it.

If the Leader does an expense sheet, the Project Manager approves it and the Area Manager authorizes it and so on.

So the same person can either be an approver or an authorizer depending on the person who places the expense sheet.

As we assign a rule attribute to a position, we are struggling to see how we could do it.

I tried to add an expense_status from Confirmed to Approved to the EXP_AUTH but I am not allowed to do that as it already exists in EXP_APP.

If anybody can help, it would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Anne-Sophie

icon

Best answer by Shehan Almeida 14 March 2020, 21:53

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi Anne,

I do not understand your below statement..

‘I tried to add an expense_status from Confirmed to Approved to the EXP_AUTH but I am not allowed to do that as it already exists in EXP_APP.’

Not sure you are getting a error or is it something else. Therefore I am not considering that for the below recommendation/solution.

Solution...

1. You can use Access Roles and Access  Attributes to cater this requirement.
  1. Activate the access attribute for expenses as follows.

1. Create 4 Access Roles for each position identified above. (Worker, Leader, Project Manager and Area Manager.)

1. Map the attribute activated in step 2.

Make sure to provide the highest attribute level for the highest position. As an example If Area Manager’s role has attribute level 100, the project manager should have 99 or anything below that.

1. In the position access window map the each access role for the relevant position ID. 

I believe you have separate position IDs for each Worker, Leader, Project Manager and Area Manager.)

I believe this would help.

Best Regards,

Shehan Almeida.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Shehan Almeida,

Thank you very much for your quick reply. It has helped with your screenshots and your explanations.

If you don’t mind, there is something I am still not clear with.

I have set it up as you mentionned but if I am a Project Manager, I can authorize the expense sheet of a Leader and I should not only be able to approve it according to our matrix. The area manager will authorize the expense sheet of a Leader.

The Project Manager can only authorize the expense sheet of a worker.

Does it come from the fact I don’t understand attribute level very well? The help says:

Attribute Level
If two users try to modify the same data, the attribute level determines who has the authority to do so:
Employee with a higher attribute level can always modify data.
Employee with a lower attribute level can modify data only if the owner of a higer level attribute used a special attribute that allows for such an action.

What is a special attribute?

Thanks very much,

Anne-Sophie

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi Anne,

Looks like now the scenario is bit different.  It seems now the PM cannot do everything for employees in Leader position.

Therefore, now we will have to map a different role in position access window and this role will have a modification in the access attributes as well.
 Access Role

This access role will have a attribute which has some restrictions as follows..
Access Attribute.

Here in the new value field does not have the Approved status code. That means employee will not be able to change any expense’s status to sheet to ‘Approved’. Only Authorized, Confirmed and Preliminary are the possibilities.

Please note this will handled only the given scenario. You will have to play around with this setup to get the complete solution.

Hope this would help.

Best Regards,
Shehan Almeida.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hello,

Thank you very much, it works exactly as I wanted.

Thanks for the time you took to respond, much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Anne-Sophie