Solved

Document Management - Access

• 15 November 2019
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi, we have an issue where we want to use document attachments for expenses. The users who will need to be able to view the attachment is the employee the expense sheet has been created for, the employees manager and an administration team.

Generally the employee is inputting the attachment so will automatically get permission to see the document, adding an administrative team is easy but how can I get the employees line manager to view the document without opening the document up to multiple other users?

Thanks

Helen

icon

Best answer by PIreland 15 November 2019, 22:06

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Have you looked at Access Template on Doc Class - which automatically gives access when a Doc of a certain Document Class.  You could give “Group” access to the Admin Team and “Person” access to the line manager.  

Might be administratively heavy depending on your employee/line manager structure?  

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I also hear with Apps 10 v6 update there is a patch if you are using Trip Tracker APP to submit the expenses any media item attached (picture of receipt) becomes a restricted document class so that only the employee and their manager can view the file (not everyone with DocMan access). 

I do not know if this also applies to files attached directly through Expense sheet in IEE.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hello Helen,

I’d probably try to do this with a custom event where the Event would add the Supervisor to the Document Access when a document is created.  I do not think it would be hard for a person with

PL/SQL skills to create this, perhaps you or someone in your company can do it.

I hope this helps,

Patrick

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hello Helen,

I thought about this a little more.  Object Controlled Access for Document Management should help you with this.  The individuals who can access documents are controlled by the position access/employee access settings of HR and NOT with the native document access functionality that we’re all used to.  Please try and see if that solves the problem.

Patrick

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

...but how can I get the employees line manager to view the document without opening the document up to multiple other users?

Others here have suggested different automatic solutions, but unless I have missed anything no one have suggested the simple manual approach of just adding a line under Access / Definition with your line manager’s person ID in the Person ID field. Set the access level to View if your manager just need to view the document. Yes, this needs to be done for each document, manually, but if it does not happen that often and if you have a small instruction for it, it might not be a problem.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hello Helen,

I thought about this a little more.  Object Controlled Access for Document Management should help you with this.  The individuals who can access documents are controlled by the position access/employee access settings of HR and NOT with the native document access functionality that we’re all used to.  Please try and see if that solves the problem.

Patrick

This worked perfectly. We can mix with a group of administrators via the native document management configuration and the object controlled access to give access to the relevant employee/line managers.