Question

Sort Data by a measure item in Business Reporter

• 13 January 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge +5
Can I know if we are able to sort data in a BR report by a measure item? If it is possible, how do we do that?   Thank you in advance!

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The way to sort items in a BR report would be by using it as a repeater and selecting the sort option in the repeater, but I am afraid this would not provide you with the expected result since the data that you receive if you add the measure item as a repeater could be different since it would repeat by that measure item as well,

So according to my knowledge the only way you could achieve this is by using the sort available in Excel but for the report to be sorted you would have to execute it and sort it manually in the Executed mode (i.e Report Mode). As there is no functionality that I am aware of which could facilitate sorting a measure item in the design mode.

Badge +5

Thank you for the reply!

Have a Great Day!

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hello

What if you referenced the IFS data (where the repeater data is being returned) and did a simple = function on another non-IFS data related excel column and then did a standard excel sorting function on that column instead? 

Just a thought because although we want to utilise BR, we can still use the simple excel functionality as part of the report design.

Regards

Nick

Badge +5

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for your thought.

Is it possible to send a sample BR report with what you were referring?

Not sure If I get correct.

Thank you!

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

No problem.

I do not have an example report i can share with you at the moment but it’s pretty straight forward logic - see below.

What I mean is, if the BR report returns a value in Colum C, then in Column D do a simple D1 = C1. Then have Column D sorted using excel functionality (maybe a macro?) but have Column D hidden - this way it will always sort Column C how you want. That’s my thinking.

Badge +5

I got what you say. I know using a macro/or Excel sorting we can sort data by the measure item, but it will be after the report is executed. What I was looking for a way to use BR report design to do that so the user who executes the report will not have to do anything after the execution.

Thank you for your responses! Appreciate your thoughts.

Regards,

Disna.