Question

Learning IFS

• 6 November 2019
  • 13 replies

What are some good resources for learning IFS?  I’m not able to attend IFS Academy due to costs.  I’m just wanting to know if anyone has good resources for learning.  I have gone through some of the e-learning available in IFS 8 but I was told it was not available in IFS 10.  Any tips would be appreciated.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

This isn't a good answer, but as a side note, the online help assumes you're comfortable with the parlance of each functional area. Often when I hadn't been sure about something, it was because they were speaking the language of an unfamiliar profession.

For example, the documentation doesn't say much about what an "ABC Class" is, but it doesn't have to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC_analysis

Most of my misunderstandings about the system have been because I have too much tape on my glasses. :-)

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

eLearning may not technically exist in Apps10 but there is still a lot of good information that should help guide understanding and possibly even learning in the Online Documentation.

From the full launch page (<AppsServer>/index_admin.html) select the Documentation link.  Once there you can browse and work through the documentation by IFS Business Models, by IFS Functional Area Models (which includes a lot of helpful flow/process diagrams that you can drill into), and by Topics.

If you’re looking for technical/sys admin information rather than functional knowledge, there is also a link at the bottom of the screen to the Technical Documentation.

I think the material under there is more useful and browsable than most folks might think, but you can end up going down rabbit holes sometimes, especially in the tech docs.

Another resource I would suggest is attending any local InFocus user group event if you have one in your area.  You won’t get to choose what will be covered during the event but it’s a great way to learn and network with other IFS users.

Lastly, how about looking to see if experienced IFS folks at your company might be willing to do something like a lunch-and-learn for small groups.  In my experience these are often some of the most helpful sessions as you’ll get info directly related to your implementation from your own coworkers.

Good luck!

Nick

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

The end user documentation should cover everything. Of course, it’s not always as easy to learn from it as from “training” material that might have a lot of examples, but all the facts should be there. If it is not, then you should contact support :)

Badge +3

Hi all,

I have seen two path of HCM functional training in IFS. One is fundamental training and the other one is more advance which is Academic training. 

The issue in IFS Website is that, there is no schedule for both training so I can discuss it with my higher management to get it approved and plan for it. 

I need IFS in class training schedule for 2019 & 2019

Userlevel 7

Hi all,

I have seen two path of HCM functional training in IFS. One is fundamental training and the other one is more advance which is Academic training. 

The issue in IFS Website is that, there is no schedule for both training so I can discuss it with my higher management to get it approved and plan for it. 

I need IFS in class training schedule for 2019 & 2019

@Jochen Wolter any ideas? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi @Hatim Almalki . You are right, we are not publishing our training schedule on IFS.com. The reason is that as a Software vendor we are focusing our training on Consultants. Customer users should receive training for their specific business processes during the implementation project.

Having that said: a consultant can be an employee of IFS, of one of our partners but of course also of an IFS customer (typically the inhouse consultants managing the software and implementing innovations). If you are one of those may I suggest you contact your IFS representative so that we can find out what works best for your requirements.

Badge +3

Hi @Jochen Wolter .

This is a big issue that, companies will be depending on IFS since project implementation till the entire life. company is hiring employees and educate them to take care of system performance, functional & technical as of SAP & SF. a question, what will happen if the employee joined a company after a project implementation and IFS is running if you say receiving training will be during implementation plan.

Anyway, we just new on IFS and not sure how we are going to complete with it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

You can use the technical documentation to get familiar with the functionality and technology that is being used at IFS.

https://wit.ifsworld.com/F1Docs/apps10/

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I'm a customer and don't have permission to see this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Looking into it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Could you please log in to an IFS Application and go to a window which you want to learn about and press F1, in order to get its foundation page. I hope this helps you to understand the functionality and techniques behind each and every page and functions.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I agree that Elearning in previous versions of IFS is a good source for learning how to use various areas of the application. Using the online documentation in IFS10 is more cumbersome and there are no examples as of how to set up basic data or how to work in a specific process. 

New employees have used the Elearning to get a basic understanding the functionality of different areas of the application. We have also used it to understand how a specific function is supposed to work. 

Please explain why the Elearning has been removed in IFS10. Is the idea to have it replaced by IFS Academy and IFS consultants for questions how to use specific areas of IFS?

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Taking eLearning away from apps10 simply to profit off of teaching IFS and making it harder for your customers to use the software is reason enough for companies to switch ERP systems… There is such thing as new employees that have to learn IFS. This makes no sense.