Solved

Person ID/User ID

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Afternoon all,

I have come across an issue that I am sure has plagued others before. Way back in the heady days of 7.5 being implemented the business made a decision to opt out of a numerical ID system for our Person and User ID records. Instead we opted for <First Initial><Surname> e.g. NTAYLOR.

The problem we have is that one of our users got married and now the Person ID and User ID do not reflect her now taken name and has asked if we can update the Person ID/User ID to correctly reflect her new surname. As these are somewhat key fields within the system I am pretty sure there isn’t a standard way of achieving this as it would need to flush the entire system to update everything that was ever posted with these ID’s.

If anyone knows of a way how to do this or (for the IFS employees) if  a data fix exists for this kind of change it would be interesting to know!

Regards
Nathan

icon

Best answer by ntaylor 13 July 2020, 09:15

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Very helpful and detailed write-up

I have some problem should I post it here.? or create a seperate thread for same.?

If it’s a question to do with the write up then feel free to ask here and I will help if I can. If it is unrelated to the above then probably best to raise a new thread. Also apologies for the delay in response!

Badge

I have some problem should I post it here.? or create a seperate thread for same.?

Badge

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Thank you….much appreciated!

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi Jo,

1. User Record - (Solution Manager → Security → Users → Explore Users)

- Find the current User ID e.g. USER123
    - Right-Click the user
    - Change Active
    - Set as Inactive

2. Person Record - (Application Base Setup → Enterprise → Person → Person)

- Find the Person ID for the user e.g. USER123
    - Remove old User ID from the field called User ID:
    - Save Record

3. User Record - (Solution Manager → Security → Users → Explore Users)

- Create the new User record (+)
    - Click on ‘Connect User to an Existing Person
    - Select the Person ID from the list
    - Change the Identity to the new User ID format you require. e.g. USERABC (Note: This will also auto-update the Directory ID and Database ID to match)
  4. - Save record

Now Person ID - USER123 is linked to User ID - USERABC

Regards
Nathan

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

I have a user asking the same question about the ‘name change’ and these three steps were suggested.

1. Deactivate 'old' User Id
2. Register new IFS User Id
3. Link new User with 'old' Person Id

Can you give a little more detail on how to do this?  

Thanks,

Jo

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Exactly the same idea as I have pondered but like you found, it only applies to new users and is this a headache I want to instigate?

If only there was a reset button!

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

We came to our sense half way though and have a compromise - the user ID is the firstname.surname taken from AD - the person ID is the employee number. It does cause some confusion as we did not change employees who had been set-up prior to this epiphany  and confusion for some end-users who do not know the difference between a person and a user (don’t even start them on employee)  We have HR module installed - but use in passing.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Tell her, that she should be happy to have her last name still in memory for next years ! ;) 

If the was no HR module installed, there wouldn’t be a problem. If you create new Person, there should be new employee, and this is … as you said … hell involved.

BR, Lukasz

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi Lukasz,

Pretty much what I told the user already. The problem is, even changing the User ID by deleting and re-creating isn’t enough as the Person ID is still going to be the wrong also.

When she searches for herself as a buyer or coordinator it will still pull the wrong Person ID (which is also linked to the employee record) meaning I would almost have to create her again from scratch. Not ideal.

Would be an ideal feature but doubt enough people made the same mistake to warrant the hell that would be involved in coding it!

Regards
Nathan

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi,

Most companies just:

1. Deactivate 'old' User Id
2. Register new IFS User Id
3. Link new User with 'old' Person Id

Of course also Person Name (desription field) needs to be changed. This usually goes to printouts so nothing else needs to be done.

New Person & New Employee would be too problematic for HR.
Sometimes even User ID stays the same.

Data fix ... omg, don't even mention it. 

BR, Lukasz