Question

Changing Person ID or Emp ID in the Employee Form

• 20 September 2022
  • 19 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Regarding customer request reported via G2350213

In the employee record is it possible to change the Emp ID or Person ID. When someone changes their name we may need to change their Person ID. There are situations where an employee ID may need to change. Is there a way to easily update these fields?

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @Tharindu Nadeeshan ,

I do not think IFS user interface allows you to change either an employee ID or person ID associated with an existing employee.  I think the only option is to create a new employee and person record.   When we first started using the HR module our HR team made mistakes linking existing person records to employees and we had to have IFS perform a data repair to change the person records linked to the employee.

Just curious why you would need a new person or employee record when a name is changed.  You are able to change names in both the employee and person records.  We do this often when someone gets married or divorced.  

Regards,

William Klotz

Badge

William,

What screens do you use to do this?  Only option we know if right now is to create a new ID and connect it with existing ID.

Badge +4

Regarding customer request reported via G2350213

In the employee record is it possible to change the Emp ID or Person ID. When someone changes their name we may need to change their Person ID. There are situations where an employee ID may need to change. Is there a way to easily update these fields?

Hi @Tharindu Nadeeshan ,

Was there a resolution to this case? We have the same issue, an employee has changed names due to marriage and the Person ID uses their previous name. New Person and User accounts created but can’t amend the employee file to reference the new record while retaining the same Employee No for historical record purposes. 

We are using App10

Thanks

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

@PORBBAKER @Tharindu Nadeeshan   you cannot change the IDS once they have been created with a data fix and that is not recommended 

This is why IDs relating to employees are best to be kept numerical rather than alpha characters 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @PORBBAKER , @Tharindu Nadeeshan  and @dbest 

Sorry for the delay.

All our employee id's and person id's are 6 digit numbers auto generated by IFS.  We set the starting number for the person and employee id's in IFS.  We set the person and employee id's the same so when we create a new employee and person we get the same number for both.  You may not be able to guarantee that if you create person records for customer or supplier contacts.  We don't so only our employees have person records.  We use Azure AD for user authentication into IFS which is the employee email address.

When an employee has a legal name change like marriage HR changes the last name in the last name field and put the maiden last name in the birth name field of the employee record.  IT links a new email address to the employee.  IFS Admin updates the person record last name and email address and changes the user record directory id with the new email address.

As a rule of thumb any field in IFS that has ID or NO at the end we try to always use numbers only in the field.

Regards,

William Klotz

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @Tharindu Nadeeshan 

IFS doesn’t allow to change a person id. If somebody has married then you have to create a new person id. You can set a expire date for the employee id. Then you can assign this employee id to another person id. Do it with the IFSAPP user. But at first try to delete it with IFSAPP. Sometimes it works if it isn’t connected to any objects.

You can change the employee id with PL/SQL also.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

How do you Expire an employee id?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @TosohLBlum 

you can do this on the screen company, tab Employee:

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@Link Having same issue and I tried to follow your recommendations:

• Employee ID expired
  • new person created 
  • I am unable to assign this employee to the new person ID !  ‘An Expired Employee with this employee ID already exists’ error pop up. 
  • I am also unable to delete Employe ID/ Old PersonID record from Company window.

Much appreciate your help

Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

@Link Having same issue and I tried to follow your recommendations:

• Employee ID expired
  • new person created 
  • I am unable to assign this employee to the new person ID !  ‘An Expired Employee with this employee ID already exists’ error pop up. 
  • I am also unable to delete Employe ID/ Old PersonID record from Company window.

Much appreciate your help

Thanks 

Hi @NMALKI 

then you should try this with the IFSAPP user. 

Try also to delete the old data with IFSAPP.

If you aren’t in cloud you can also update it with PL/SQL.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@Link Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, it didn’t work.

I was only able to change the old Employee Person_Id using an SQL script in TEST environment as we got IFSAPP pwd via SQL Developer.

The issue is that we don’t have IFSAPP in PROD environment to run the script… is there is any work around to run the script in PROD ?

Thanks again

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @NMALKI 

that means you are in cloud, right?

Unfortunately, you need the IFSAPP user. Maybe you can try it with IFSADMIN.

You should be able to get the password for error analysing. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@Link We are in APP10 update 15 . 

As a beginning I can connect to TEST environment from SQL developer but not to PROD as PROD is SSO … 

I am using the same Hostname, Port as TEST connection just changing the service Name but it keeps giving me below error . Any suggestion for SSO access or from where to bring the right connection details ? 

Much appreciated 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @NMALKI 

aren’t you an administrator?

Therefore you should be able to log in with username and password.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@Link I am an administrator in my company (got IFS_ALL access) but we don’t have access to IFS EE Admin ... probably because it is managed by Cloud.

But I believe I still need to be able to access PROD database from SQL developer using my username.

Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

@Link I am an administrator in my company (got IFS_ALL access) but we don’t have access to IFS EE Admin ... probably because it is managed by Cloud.

But I believe I still need to be able to access PROD database from SQL developer using my username.

Thanks 

Hi @NMALKI 

you should be able our IFS is also in cloud. 

Try to paste “/index_admin.html” after your current IFS link in the browser.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@Link Yes it does open in a NON Single Sign ON environment. Thanks for this info .

Can I ask a silly question what does IFS EE Admin offer more than normal IFS EE .

Thanks again 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

@Link Yes it does open in a NON Single Sign ON environment. Thanks for this info .

Can I ask a silly question what does IFS EE Admin offer more than normal IFS EE .

Thanks again 

Hi @NMALKI 

sure. Your have more options there.

1. log in with username and password
  2. Access to interface browser
  3. IFS online documentation
Badge +1

EMP ID and Person ID once created in IFS can’t be changed or even deleted. 

IFS recommends generating numerical values in EMP ID and Person ID fields. In Case of change in Employee personal details such as last name, you get flexibility to change/edit it.