Tip: Using Excel Migration for multiple views

• 27 April 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

As I get a similar question multiple times, I thought to write a separate topic on how to use an Excel Migration Job for multiple views.

As example I take the creation of a new part in Excel and adding a manufacturer. I know it is a simple example but it is the base for exploration of more functionality.

Create a mig job with the following setting:

Used views on parts entry

Open the tab Rules

Create connection between two views

This rule value would be the same as if you prepare an SQL statement that will connect the two views. So if you have a view that has multiple fields to form the external key, all field combinations must be included using a regular ‘and’ construction.

There are quite some fields on a master part general tab. I've removed the majority in the spreadsheet by removing the source column in tab Source Mapping:

Leave in the fields with a default value. Clearing the Source Column for these fields (as in positions 40 and 60) will result in not showing these columns in Excel, while the data will be processed.

Further down this list are the Manufacturing Part fields:

For my own workflow I keep the Source Column content the same as the Column Name content. Keep in mind that content as shown at 1 is shown as column header in Excel.

Also note worthy is that the position is also the sequence in which the columns are shown in Excel. So try to give the most used fields a low position number.

My overview in Excel shows the following:

Entering a new part with Manufacturer

I Execute all rows and row is inserted as Master Part. Next to this also the Part Manufacturer tab is filled.

That's it.

If you have a tip or a special technique that is usable with this type of Excel Migration Job, please let us know about it.

Regards and succes,

Steve

3 replies

Badge

Hello Steve :) can you tell me how I should configure Sorce Mapping tab if I have couple of columns named the same? for example I wanted to create excel migration job for inventory and sales part modification so I need to map two the same column Contract I can’t use the same name in Source Column:

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

@pawel.kus I think I would solve this by renaming the PART_NO into INV_PART_NO and create a new column SAL_PART_NO. In the spreadsheet these will have to be filled the same. Some explanation to the end/key-user is needed here. Maybe you can try to use the default value column in these cases. So fill the default value of position 1260 with PART_NO.

If one of these work, will you mention it here, so I and others can learn from it?

Badge

Thanks for quick answer. I changed names in source mapping column and it’s work now :) previously I changed these names but with names contain “.” for example “IP.PART_NO” and this didn’t work.