Solved

Post Upd16: Print Manager Error: No PDF report returned from Crystal Web Service

• 19 March 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

We are on Appsv9, and have just applied update 16.

We have noticed that on occasions, Print Manager is erroring with ‘No PDF report returned from Crystal Web Service’.

Obviously this is only on documents that are generated via Crystal Web Service.

We have 3 x Crystal Web Services running and as far as I can remember, we have not seen this issue in Apps v9 before.

The error in the Crystal Web Service log is:

18/03/2020 15:23:06[IFSCRWebSetupIFS9Lb]-[GetSavedPDFReport] The web instance is busy. The request will be forwarded to the next available instance.

Has anyone else had this? has anyone seen this behaviour after an update? (we were on update 12).

My guess would be to create a couple more Web services, but i suspect something somewhere has changed, for this to become a problem now. I believe we are only seeing this when the system is busy.

Thanks all

Mike

icon

Best answer by Srikanth 19 March 2020, 14:25

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

There were some improvements in printing via crystal logic. Both messages are part of that improvements. Once you get that web service is busy message, the same request should go to next available instance - look for the same job id in crystal logs. Check and confirm that job is completed. Otherwise there should be an error message in another log file - you must enable logs for all the 3 instances. 

Also make sure you have re-installed all the crystal web service instances using the newly generated crystal installation bundle in IFS HOME (CrystalWebService_64bit_APP10_DEP_CMB.zip) after the UPD installation.

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Rusiru’s comments are spot on. Three CWS instances should be able to handle when multiple reports generated at the same time. This does vary from client to client. 

You can also look in the print job tab:

select * from print_job_tab where created_time >= to_date('03/18/2020','mm/dd/yyyy')

to locate the Error on print job tab for the report ID of the Crystal Report that did not send. This also tells whether multiple reports have been submitted for printing at the same time.

Here is the error message you should notice for the failed job, if the above scenario is true:

"Error in retrieving the report from Crystal Web Service. Please Contact your System Administrator."

If you are running into this issue recently, then a reconfiguration of IFS followed by re-installation of CWS is recommended. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Mike,

Also, check in the UPD16 Installation Notes and see if you need to reinstall Print Agent and CWS as part of the post install steps. 

I know this is required for few Apps 10 Updates. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi

I did reinstall the Crystal Web Services and the Print Agent as per usual after an update, and that all appeared to go on as expected.

IFS Support are taking a look and suspect a loading issue, so I will be adding a further two CWS’s, whilst they look into it a bit deeper regarding if the update has had an effect.

Thanks for your help and time guys.

Mike

Badge +1

Hi

I did reinstall the Crystal Web Services and the Print Agent as per usual after an update, and that all appeared to go on as expected.

IFS Support are taking a look and suspect a loading issue, so I will be adding a further two CWS’s, whilst they look into it a bit deeper regarding if the update has had an effect.

Mike

Hi Mike, in this case I think all your crystal reports didn’t work and after reinstallation of CWS it starts working am I correct?. In other words, it’s not some of the reports works while others didn’t work? Further I’m wonder what CWS relation to the Print Agent. 

Thanks 

Kind Regards

Amila

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi

Mike

Hi

Mike

Hi Mike - did you have any luck with IFS support as seeing similar issue myself?

We are running into this same problem and we're wondering if this issue was resolved for Mike and/or Bruce?  We are on Apps 9 and recently went to UPD17 from UPD9.

We have one CWS instance on each of two Windows servers, each hosting one Managed Server.  Our System Parameter 'The machine name where the Crystal Web Service is installed' is set to 'localhost' so the CWS instance on each server handles report runs from the respective Managed Server.

CWS on both servers was re-installed from the newly generated installation bundle immediately after UPD17 was installed.  No other issues have been seen with Crystal reports since then.  Just the occasional 'No PDF report returned from Crystal Web Service' Print Manager error with the following message in the logs whenever this happens:

"The web instance is busy. The request will be forwarded to the next available instance"

This happens occasionally for both CWS instances and when it does, there are often 10 or more of these errors in the Print Manager and crystal logs.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

We are running into this same problem and we're wondering if this issue was resolved for Mike and/or Bruce?  We are on Apps 9 and recently went to UPD17 from UPD9.

We have one CWS instance on each of two Windows servers, each hosting one Managed Server.  Our System Parameter 'The machine name where the Crystal Web Service is installed' is set to 'localhost' so the CWS instance on each server handles report runs from the respective Managed Server.

CWS on both servers was re-installed from the newly generated installation bundle immediately after UPD17 was installed.  No other issues have been seen with Crystal reports since then.  Just the occasional 'No PDF report returned from Crystal Web Service' Print Manager error with the following message in the logs whenever this happens:

"The web instance is busy. The request will be forwarded to the next available instance"

This happens occasionally for both CWS instances and when it does, there are often 10 or more of these errors in the Print Manager and crystal logs.

@davidurquhart I would like to know how you resolved the issue as I face the similar issue after UPD17