Solved

IFS Cloud 22R1 - Connection timeout

• 21 September 2022
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi,

I noticed that after feel minutes without using IFS Cloud, I have an error (need to reconnect). It is like some kind of connection time out. Do you experience similar problem?

Thanks,

Gianni Neves 

icon

Best answer by AveTonitM 22 September 2022, 11:59

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Yes, it is a normal browser condition, it will time out and you lose connection.  Be careful about attempting a transaction or entering data or you will lose it and not know till submitting or saving, then you will lose it. 

There is no warning that this is the case.  It is very annoying and there is no admin accessible timer setting to change it that we’ve found.

Add it to the list of Cloud discrepancies and annoyances…..

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

This is a real challenge in customer industrial environments where users do not constantly interact with the PC / IFS Cloud and sessions end constantly to timeout errors.

IFS Cloud is a web application, and “keep-alive” setting should be a standard. One would assume that if Azure AD is commonly used configuration it would also be feasible from a technical or security perspective.

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

This is a real challenge in customer industrial environments 

Yes, we agree as well.  It is one of the reasons we point to when surmising that the folks who spent time writing the code for Aurena have not actually spent time operating ERP software nor were they guided with that principle in mind.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Thank you guys.

This problem will be a really problem for us, because we have offices and manufacturing environments, so people will be not happy once this become a problem to them. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi guys,

I tried the solution below, today and after 1hrs without touch my computer, my connection didn’t drop:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/developer/browsers/connectivity-navigation/change-keep-alive-time-out

Give this a try and let me know if it works for you.

PS: I used Microsoft edge for my tests. 

Thanks,

Gianni 

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi guys,

I tried the solution below, today and after 1hrs without touch my computer, my connection didn’t drop:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/developer/browsers/connectivity-navigation/change-keep-alive-time-out

Give this a try and let me know if it works for you.

PS: I used Microsoft edge for my tests. 

Thanks,

Gianni 

Sorry, solution doesn’t work guys.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@gianni.neves That Microsoft setting is on the browser side, the sessions are timed-out because IFS Aurena also has this keep-alive kind of setting which determines after how long inactivity will log you out.

So, if you can install an addon for your browser, that can simulate some user action to keep the connection alive, the sessions will not log out. There will be plenty of options for the browser you use.

One example - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/let-live/aacggglhipafndnfihckmepmolhmbejc

If you don’t trust 3rd party addons, then you can write your own script also. Like using Greasemonkey or any other tool, you can write your own script to keep the connection alive with the IFS web application.

Although, this IFS connection timeout seems frustrating, it is there for security purpose only.

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

@gianni.neves 

We believe we found a way around this without an add in or modification to IFS Cloud.

We created a lobby element with just the date showing on it and set the element to auto refresh the date/time every 15 minutes.  As long as the lobby is open with the element on it on a separate tab, it prevents the timeout from occurring that causes the connection to be lost.

Give it a try and see if it works for you.

@ShawnBerk This is quite a good way untill IFS will finally fix this issue and lets us set the time out interval. But we run into the following problem:

We have built a lobby as you explained and it works for up to 10 hours. If we don’t ‘touch’ the computer, we will be ‘kicked out’ of IFS exactly after 10 hours. 

Has anyone ever kept IFS alive for more than 10 hours (without any operation)? We have tested it with different browsers, LAN/WLAN etc… 

Thanks 

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

We have been facing the same issue - for now we have started using https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/session-alive/aodfoiacnmepndhojccepdcpmehjbham which seems to be working well for us so far.

However, IFS really need to incorporate this into the Aurena/Chrome Plugin.