Question

High Availability Scenario for IFS Cloud 21R2 Remote Installation

• 2 December 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Dear all,
it seems there is no High Availability scenario available with IFS Cloud Remote installation.
I have found this article in technical documentation
https://docs.ifs.com/techdocs/21r2/010_overview/400_core_server/020_middle_tier/010_overview/#scaling-and-high-availability
which is saying
"To scale up a k8s cluster more node machines can be added to the cluster and more containers (# of replicas) can be started to distribute the load. All namespaces span over all nodes. High availability is built in by design in k8s. If k8s is instructed to start >2 replicas of each containers the container can start on different nodes. This allows HA on only parts of IFS Cloud. The container can also be sized to have different amount of CPU/Memory resources limits/quotas - this is done through the installer."

So I understand the scaling and HA is built in by design in k8s. However with the remote installation k8s cluster is still running on middle tier server with Ubuntu OS. This server might stop working due to a OS or  HW issue, what is going to happen then? Can we create additional middle tier server with another k8s cluster? Can the load be somehow distributed between the MTS servers?

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @ORFJAN ,

21R2 doesn’t support HA. The plan is to introduce true HA using the built in k8s capability in 22R1. Until this is introduced, i would go with a pretty basic approach such as having snapshot of the MT VM which you can quickly spin up in case something goes horribly wrong with the current MT. Not perfect but will get the job done with minimum downtime.

Cheers

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Sajith,
thanks for reply and valuable input. Let’s hope in 22R1then, can you pls. share how the HA concept is going to work there on server level?
The MT snapshot is most probably the only option for now.
Thanks Jan

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi @ORFJAN ,

I’m also waiting for the exact deployment mechanism used in the HA solution by the product development team so will not be any help there. It is expected that the mechanics will be released closer to the 22R1 release. 

cheers.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

1 more question on top of that, can 2 MTS servers (with different system URL) be running at the same time against 1 DB?

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi Sajith, R22 is now there. It’s HA supported now for Remote Installations? If yes, can you please provide documentation for the cluster setup ? Thx!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

hi @TheofilLepschy,

Unfortunately the functionality was not released as part of the base 22R1 release. it is expected that this will be released along with a service update in 22R1 track but i don’t have the exact information. When this is released, online tech docs (https://docs.ifs.com) will be updated with the setup instructions. 

Cheers.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi Sajith, ok, thank you! BR

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi @Sajith D,

exists more information for 22R2 and HA, is now implemented for Remote Installations ? On the documentation I didn’t find something new.

Thx!