Question

GSS on Exchange Online

• 17 March 2022
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

We are in the process of migrating our Exchange 2013 on-prem email environment to Exchange Online. We currently use IFS 9 with multiple IFS Sales and Marketing 8 GSS instances to synchronise between SaM and our sales teams' appointments, tasks, and contacts. These have been and continue to work between our IFS environment and our on-prem Exchange mailboxes. 

Our Exchange admin used one of our IFS testing environments, checked GSS is working as expected on-prem, then migrated the master account (and its mailbox) and a test user with its mailbox into AzureAD and Exchange online. He followed the instructions to successfully configure the Impersonation role and apply this to the master account. Both the master and test accounts have Exchange licenses applied to them and basic authentication is enabled. He logged in to Outlook online successfully as the master account to confirm it is working and accessible with the correct password.

While running ConnectionTester from the GSS server console logged in as the master account, with the web service endpoint set to "https://outlook.office.com/ews/exchange.asmx", the database set to the User Principal Name of the test user, username set to the UPN of the master account, and the correct password, clicking Connect gives a message "Querying for default folders for each datatype", a few seconds’ wait, then an error, "General communications problem. details were: 'HTTP response '401: Unauthorized' when communicating with https://outlook.office.com/ews/exchange.asmx'". He gets the same error if he uses an invalid Database: user ID. If he uses an invalid account for the Username field, the connection tester takes significantly longer (a couple of minutes rather than seconds) to respond with the "General communications problem" message.

The server trust status is trusted although he has to import the certificate more often than when using the on-prem server.
The ConnectionTester log file doesn’t have anything useful:

2022-03-16 10:31:56,870 [SwingWorker-pool-3-thread-1] INFO  i.s.c.e.e.c.PreferencesService - Connection options MANUAL 
2022-03-16 10:31:56,873 [SwingWorker-pool-3-thread-1] INFO i.s.c.e.e.c.PreferencesService - Manual WS Endpoint: https://outlook.office.com/ews/exchange.asmx
2022-03-16 10:31:56,873 [SwingWorker-pool-3-thread-1] INFO i.s.c.e.e.c.PreferencesService - Manual Database: TestUser@instron.com
2022-03-16 10:31:56,873 [SwingWorker-pool-3-thread-1] INFO i.s.c.e.e.c.PreferencesService - Manual Username: master@instron.com
2022-03-16 10:31:56,873 [SwingWorker-pool-3-thread-1] INFO i.s.c.e.e.c.PreferencesService - Autodiscover Database: TestUser@instron.com
2022-03-16 10:31:56,873 [SwingWorker-pool-3-thread-1] INFO i.s.c.e.e.c.PreferencesService - Autodiscover Username: domain\Master

We're at a bit of a loss what to do next and are hoping someone else might have this configuration, has managed to get it working, and can possibly point us in the right direction.

This topic has been closed for comments