Solved

Excel Input (Paste Object) Tool

• 29 January 2020
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi,

Does anyone have a copy of the Excel Input tool they could upload where you copy an object out of IFS - run a macro and then can paste the objects back into IFS?

This tool is very handy for adding in new records into an overview form

Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by CallumW 31 January 2020, 10:17

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Yes, I’ve sent you a PM.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Thanks @GPIE  and @ProRoshaP for sharing the file.

I have since come across a different version which has been tidied up a little with helpful instructions inside.

I have attached it here as a ZIP file (as the excel file with the macro is blocked from being uploaded here) so others can use if the find it helpful.

Please note: As I don’t know the full origin of the spreadsheet, I cannot say whether its been validated/approved etc… by IFS. - But all in all it is purely just a copy and paste tool, so you would just need to perform a sense check on the pasted data before you save the record.

P.s. I have checked the macros in the file which are all safe to run

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Thanks @CallumW 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

For what I know this is not an IFS supported tool. What it does, I know it as Simple Migration Tool, is to make handy use of the clipboard function in a windows environment.

If you’re a bit neerdy, you could even use in IFS copy object, paste in Notepad. Change some values and copy all. Head back to IFS and use RMB > Edit > Paste Object.

Example I open Service and Maintenance\Basic Data\Maintenance Basic Data. Select a row and use RMB > Edit > Copy Object. pasting gives:

!IFS.COPYOBJECT
$LU=MaintenanceCauseCode
$VIEW=MAINTENANCE_CAUSE_CODE
$RECORD=!
-$0:ERR_CAUSE=8
-$1:DESCRIPTION=Design error
-$2:BLOCK_LOV_USE=FALSE
-

Next I make the change:

!IFS.COPYOBJECT
$LU=MaintenanceCauseCode
$VIEW=MAINTENANCE_CAUSE_CODE
$RECORD=!
-$0:ERR_CAUSE=10
-$1:DESCRIPTION=Meter Reading Error
-$2:BLOCK_LOV_USE=FALSE
-

Copy all and paste as object in IFS:

Press Save (F12) and ready.

I’ve used this during the implementation of a module where there was a lot of basic data to prepare.

I know I could have used SQL to write records, but this is just another way if you don’t have SQL Developer or another IDE at hand.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I used Excel to construct the data this way so I could paste it into IFS, but that was before I was introduced to the “magic spreadsheet” as the consultant called it, which is much more convenient.

It might not be officially supported, but the resulting paste process still goes through API data validation so is as safe as any other method.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Why this tools cannot be used on IFS 10 ?

After I clicked Export buton, the Paste Object button still disabled 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

It does work with IFS 10, I used it yesterday!

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Solved. After I click Export button, the object cannot be pasted if IFS 7 Application opened.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Update: Sometimes, if the Export-Paste Object doesn’t work, close File Explorer and/or old IFS Application (IFS7).

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

We use this input tool as well, but for some reason, after adding the records to the excel spreadsheet and do a RMB the Paste Object is not available.  Did something change in UPD 11. 

Thanks

Shelley