Question

Documents on IFS Data Migration Tool Kit/IFS Smart Data Tool

Userlevel 3
Badge +8
  • Do Gooder (Customer)
  • 42 replies

Data Migration Tool Kit (Have been majorly used in US side)
IFS Smart Data Tool (New Migration Tool Launched around 2 months ago)

This topic has been closed for comments

22 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @WSHAH,

You can refer to the documentation below,

Data Migration

Smart Data Manager available from IFS Cloud 21R1,
Overview
Installation Guide
Administration Aurena

Cheers !
Dhananjaya.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi Dhananjaya,

Is there any difference in Data Migration or Data Migration Tool Kit

Regards

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @WSHAH,

I'm not really sure on what you're referring to with the term "Data Migration Tool Kit".

But when comparing the old "Data Migration" approach with the new "Smart Data Manager" available from IFS Cloud 21R1, there are many new features added.

• Data Cleansing
  • Duplication Control
  • Deployment management Control
  • Pre- and Post-Deployment Capabilities
  • Basic Data Validation and Extraction
  • Industry Accelerator Template Data Import
  • Data version control

Cheers !
Dhananjaya.

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

Hi @WSHAH,

As you have mentioned in your original question, MTK is a local product manged by IFS North America. Therefore, the documentation is not included in F1 Documentation.It would be best to request any documentation through your project manager at IFS or by opening a case with IFS.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Dear All,

what i perceive

1. Data Migration

Data Migration can be used to transfer data from external sources like flat files or database tables/views to an IFS Application instance through application business logic. This ensure that the data migrated is valid at the destination. Data Migration can also be used to migrate data out of a IFS Application system. This can be via flat files or replicate data out via CONNECT/BizAPI using XML.

1. Data Migration Tool Kit

MTK is a local product manged by IFS North America

1. Smart Data Manager

Smart Data Manager" available from IFS Cloud 21R1,A new migration tool that simplifies the process of migrating data between different environments. It stores, harmonizes, cleans data, flags for duplicates, and converts and deploys all migration data between environments. It is workflow driven and facilitates the movement of data from imported legacy data via stage containers while enhancing the data all the way to the final deployment container with full control.

The tool can identify data changes in the legacy sources, transform data, flag potential duplicated records, extract basic data as well as keeping control over what data has been deployed, by when, and to which target environment

Regards

WSHAH

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Smart Data Manager

• is it backwards compatible, i.e. can it be used to migrate into Apps10?
  • is it included in the IFS Cloud build?
  • is there a separate license requirement or cost to use the tool?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi @jporter 

There are two versions of this tool, 
1) For Apps 10 → IFS Smart Data Tool which is an add-on to the standard product. This has a separate commercial agreement and it needs to be ordered.
2) For IFS CLOUD → IFS Smart Data Manager delivered as a core product with the standard installation. This does not require a separate license.

If you want to use the tool for an APP10 project then you need to have the APP10 version. Hope this answered your questions.

Regards
Charitha​

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Thanks Charitha.  That’s what I needed to know.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Do you know the name of the component for the Apps 10 IFS Smart Data Tool?  My friendly IFS sales guy is not able to find it.

Badge +2

It is DATMGT

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Thanks @jacalk 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

What is the sales part name?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@jporter 
Sales part is “GLOBEXT-10-001”

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

1) For Apps 10 → IFS Smart Data Tool which is an add-on to the standard product. This has a separate commercial agreement and it needs to be ordered.
2) For IFS CLOUD → IFS Smart Data Manager delivered as a core product with the standard installation. This does not require a separate license.

Hi Charita,

• Do the two versions have the same features (i.e. those mentioned in the presentation material for Smart Data Manager like cleansing of data, data version control etc.)?
  • Will any or both of the versions be able to handle BLOB/CLOB data? Or in other words, possible to handle file data in DocMan which is stored as BLOB data.

Regards,
Erik

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi @xeam-eran, thanks for posting here! 

I just had a chat with the brain behind these tools. We did not arrive at a conclusion but I think the answer was “No,” based on his comments.

Do you have a particular use case in mind or do you just want to understand the capabilities, should you ever need them? For sure, “normal database record data” could be quite extensive/take up a lot of space, but imagine handling also all the files connected to document revisions in Docman.

Longing for the good old days when we had the Document Briefcase perhaps? :) (or AIIM, which will not be with us any longer in IFS Cloud)

/Mathias

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @xeam-eran, thanks for posting here! 

I just had a chat with the brain behind these tools. We did not arrive at a conclusion but I think the answer was “No,” based on his comments.

Do you have a particular use case in mind or do you just want to understand the capabilities, should you ever need them? For sure, “normal database record data” could be quite extensive/take up a lot of space, but imagine handling also all the files connected to document revisions in Docman.

Longing for the good old days when we had the Document Briefcase perhaps? :) (or AIIM, which will not be with us any longer in IFS Cloud)

/Mathias

Thanks @Mathias Dahl for jumping in and answering here!

I assume the answer (“No”) was related to the second question (which is closely related to your area”)? Or was it valid also for the first of my questions?.

The use case I was thinking about was to easily move document files (together with “normal database record data”) between two instances of IFS by setting up migration job in the target instance fetching data from the source instance, so the size/space would not be an issue in this case.

As you probably know (or for sure:relaxed: ) we have a solution based on Custom Objects replacing the old Document Briefcase at some of our customers, so regarding AIIM I am for sure curious of what there will be to replace it. Are there any plans that can be shared as that product is for sure a real USP in the Asset intensive industry. Maybe AIIM (Asset Information Integration Manager) should be discussed in another thread? but it is definitely tightly related to the this topic of handling documents.

/Erik

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

I assume the answer (“No”) was related to the second question (which is closely related to your area”)? Or was it valid also for the first of my questions?.

It was about exporting and importing documents.

The use case I was thinking about was to easily move document files (together with “normal database record data”) between two instances of IFS by setting up migration job in the target instance fetching data from the source instance, so the size/space would not be an issue in this case.

Is this for making a copy of TEST into DEV, and similar? I guess that, for customers in our managed cloud, there will be other things in place for doing that.

As you probably know (or for sure:relaxed:

For sure, I didn’t know it :)

we have a solution based on Custom Objects replacing the old Document Briefcase at some of our customers, so regarding AIIM I am for sure curious of what there will be to replace it. Are there any plans that can be shared as that product is for sure a real USP in the Asset intensive industry.

No plans that I am aware of, but that does not mean there are@Mayura Wasantha, would you have any comments to share here? 

Maybe AIIM (Asset Information Integration Manager) should be discussed in another thread? but it is definitely tightly related to the this topic of handling documents.

Yes, and yes :)

I cannot remove this quote it seems… :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi Charita,

• Do the two versions have the same features (i.e. those mentioned in the presentation material for Smart Data Manager like cleansing of data, data version control etc.)?
  • Will any or both of the versions be able to handle BLOB/CLOB data? Or in other words, possible to handle file data in DocMan which is stored as BLOB data.

Regards,
Erik

Hi @CharithaR,

I now realized that I missed the @ sign so you might have missed this.

Please see the first question (first bullet).
(The second which was related to BLOB data has been answered by Mathias Dahl.)

Thanks,
Erik

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi @xeam-eran 

Yes, Smart data tool in APP10 and 21R1 has identical main features, but there are more bug fixes in 21R1.

Thanks,

Charitha

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Thanks @CharithaR! Sounds good.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Dear All,

what i perceive

1. Data Migration

Data Migration can be used to transfer data from external sources like flat files or database tables/views to an IFS Application instance through application business logic. This ensure that the data migrated is valid at the destination. Data Migration can also be used to migrate data out of a IFS Application system. This can be via flat files or replicate data out via CONNECT/BizAPI using XML.

1. Data Migration Tool Kit

MTK is a local product manged by IFS North America

1. Smart Data Manager

Smart Data Manager" available from IFS Cloud 21R1,A new migration tool that simplifies the process of migrating data between different environments. It stores, harmonizes, cleans data, flags for duplicates, and converts and deploys all migration data between environments. It is workflow driven and facilitates the movement of data from imported legacy data via stage containers while enhancing the data all the way to the final deployment container with full control.

The tool can identify data changes in the legacy sources, transform data, flag potential duplicated records, extract basic data as well as keeping control over what data has been deployed, by when, and to which target environment

Regards

WSHAH

There is also the Excel Migration Tool ; I know this is available for IFS Applications 10, it is available from the Add-ons options on the Welcome page.

That said I am not sure if this is still supported with IFS Cloud. Anyone know what this if it is available for IFS Cloud or has it been deprecated and replaced with the Smart Data Manager?

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

The IFS Sales Person for my customer has not been able to identify the component for the Apps10 Smart Data tool.

He's asking if it is the 'Data Translator'.  Is this the correct component for a sales order?

Thanks.