Question

Do we have a functionality or tool to move a big chunk of row data from a table in one database to another like the copy object/paste object functionality does in Apps?

• 14 January 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Since we start with clean databases for training now, it would save scores of hours of hand jamming for basic data which is mostly the same on every project as well as being able to move data from a customer's TEST to PROD. Maybe a easy export/import tool? How about find and replace? Is that on the way?

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Jb,

This is what the Migration Toolkit (MTK) can help with. Moving data around isn’t as simple as just copying chunks of data, because data is very intertwined, even for some of the “simpler” LUs.

Personally, I use custom programs written in C# (and using one of the Oracle data access providers) to do all of our migration and inter-server data movements. This all has to be done very carefully so that we do not harm any PROD data, as we are doing a phased roll-out on separate Trains.

Thanks,

Joe Kaufman

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hey Joe,

I’ve been implementing IFS for fifteen years and the Copy Object/Paste Object as well as being able to use the Excel input macro was really easy in Apps and a gigantic part of expediting implementations.  I don’t think it should be that big of a factor to be honest with you. It save hours of handjamming when setting up an environment for a new customer.  This is critical functionality for consultants of smaller to medium implementations and very helpful for TEST set up on big companies as well.  The Excel input tool was basically and simple migration tool we can use without wasting a technical person’s time.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I guess I didn’t realize you are talking about Aurena (is that right?). I have only been working in IFS for a year and a half, and we are primarily in IEE (APPS10). I honestly don’t know how folks get much of anything done in Aurena from a technical standpoint.

I am not a consultant, I work as a developer for a company implementing IFS (we went live with our first phase on January 1 2021.

I completely agree that more data transfer tools the better -- no argument there!

Thanks,

Joe Kaufman

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hey Joe,

Yes, it’s for Aurena.  I reworded my original reply remembering you’re a customer and this is public...lol.

Aurena’s the right way to go, but we do need to figure out a way to replace this functionality..  Too many people I’ve trained depend on it or at least love it.  

Thanks for the quick reply,

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Jb, it’s all good…

When it comes to Aurena, IFS seems pretty intent on folks using RESTful API calls to manipulate data, but I don’t know whether some sort of toolkit will be forthcoming on that front. Would definitely be appreciated!

Joe Kaufman

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Yeah, it is definitely not designed for simple user extraction of data.  In making everything ‘simpler’ they have put the data further away from savvy users and require everyone to be a developer to ask the everyday data questions.