Question

Database session has been expired. Please restart client application for Apps8

• 7 November 2021
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Customer is using IFS 8 SP1+ with 2 managed server with an external load balancer.

Customer is getting error in random timing “Database session has been expired. Please restart client application” on many screens.

Customer is configured with Dedicated session timeout is 7200, Ideal time parameter of Oracle profile is set to unlimited. 

Tried reconfiguring and restarting the application server and database. By passing load balancer also we get the same issue. Database is running on RAC.

Does anyone came  across same issue or to identify the issue where else we can check for this timeout parameter apart from above mentioned.

Answer on the below post didn't help my situation:

There is no specific error in the Application and database logs. 

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @Ragaventhan Sathananda 

Have you checked the oracle database alert log for any sort of a connection timeout errors?

good to check sqlnet parameters for oracle

SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME

SQLNET.INBOUND_CONNECT_TIMEOUT

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Ruchira 

Please find the details of the parameters you have mentioned.

SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME=10
SQLNET.INBOUND_CONNECT_TIMEOUT=600

Do you think any improvements on this will improve the situation without knowing the root cause of it? If its something related to these parameters the error won’t pop out in random intervals. Also as I have mentioned in the post itself I didn’t see any error in the alert log as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Customer is using IFS 8 SP1+ with 2 managed server with an external load balancer.

Customer is getting error in random timing “Database session has been expired. Please restart client application” on many screens.

Customer is configured with Dedicated session timeout is 7200, Ideal time parameter of Oracle profile is set to unlimited. 

Tried reconfiguring and restarting the application server and database. By passing load balancer also we get the same issue. Database is running on RAC.

Does anyone came  across same issue or to identify the issue where else we can check for this timeout parameter apart from above mentioned.

Answer on the below post didn't help my situation:

There is no specific error in the Application and database logs. 

There is a small correction on the post please note that the database is not running on RAC it is a single instance one. Also Heartbeat is not enabled in it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Tharindu 

Do you have any idea for the question raised ?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi @Ragaventhan Sathananda, if you have not done yet, would that be possible to enable Heartbeat for some time period and check whether it makes any difference?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Anushka Kumar,

Thank you for the update. I will check and get back to you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Anushka Kumar,

We have noticed the dedicated session timeout is still in the default value 7200 and the heartbeat is enabled from the Middleware side with 5 Timeouts.
According to the bug in order to enable heartbeat, we have to decrease the dedicated session timeout parameter from the default to make it an effective feature so we need to know whether to decrease the value of dedicated session timeout and increase the number of timeouts of heartbeat? 
What’s your recommendation based on previous experience?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi @Ragaventhan Sathananda, the main purpose of enabling Heartbeat would be to reduce the dedicated session timeout and keep the client still alive. Below post is sharing very useful information regarding this topic.

https://community.ifs.com/training-enablement-and-adoption-120/what-is-heartbeat-functionality-and-how-to-enable-it-3332 

As per my knowledge, decreasing the dedicated session timeout to low value like 15 minutes would be fine after enabling heartbeat.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @Anushka Kumar,

We did this change, still the customer is facing this issue.
Kind Regards,
/Chathura.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

@Sampath Sitinamaluwa @Kasun Alahakoon @Banu Liyanapathirana @Rusiru Dharmadasa@Udara.Hasantha @Viranga Ruwanpathirana @Himasha Kapugeekiyanage

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Apps8! :thinking:

I think  (not at all 100% sure here) you get this error if the external loadbalancer is not configured with sicky sessions.
i.e. the client is redirected to the other mws cluster node which don’t own the db session, hence think its expired.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

This is the session persistence settings of the LoadBalancer Backend set. Sticky sessions are already enabled. Still the customer is still facing this issue.