Solved

Tax Calculation in Customer Advance Payment

• 8 September 2021
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi All,

I have the below scenario:

I have received an Advance Payment from the Customer which includes the Tax amount. 

As there is no Customer Orderrelated to it currently, I am trying to create a Payment in Advance using Mixed Payment window.

But the issue is tax for me is calculated using Tax Calculation Structure. In Mixed Payment window there is no such option to connect the required Tax Structure. As a result on voucher level the tax amount is not shown.

How to resolve this issue? 

Thanks in Advance.

Best Regards,

Rakesh Rout

icon

Best answer by Adam Bereda 8 September 2021, 22:42

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi,

I think first you can create a advance customer invoice with relevant tax structure .

Then settle it using the mixed payment.

**  You will have to connect this advance invoice to the final invoice when posting. 

Hope this helps.

Shehan Almeida. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi @Shehan Almeida 

Thank you for the response.

But I want to offset it with a Customer Invoice which will be created later. How will I connect the paid Instant Advance Invoice with a Customer OrderDebit Invoice?

Thanks,

Rakesh

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi Rakesh,

Then you better create a advance invoice from the order itself.

Shehan Almeida.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi @Shehan Almeida 

The problem is when I am receiving the advance payment we don’t have any idea regarding the Customer Order as it will be created in a latter stage.

So the proposed solution will not work for me.

Thanks,

Rakesh

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi Rakesh,

Recommended practice it using advance invoices. Seems like  this is a one-off scenario.

I am afraid I do not see a way to use tax structure in mixed payment window.

Best Regards,

Shehan Almeida.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi @Shehan Almeida 

As you know, this is a case of Customer Payment on Account as I am receiving the payment without any invoice for a particular customer. So this is not a one-off scenario because Customer Payment On Account is common practice.

I will be offsetting the Payment against future Customer Order Debit Invoice.

The only thing is while receiving the payment in Mixed Payment window I am not able to connect the correct Tax Structure (No Tax Structure field). As a result on voucher level the tax account is not getting created.

Request you to please guide me to solve this.

Thanks,

Rakesh

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hello,
I think you can use Instant Advance Invoice if you are sure payment received is related to future customer order.

Once final customer order is created, you can either create customer order advance invoice and pay it in customer offset by payment in advance received (closing one and creating another payment in advance), or simply wait for delivery and use customer offset to use advance to pay delivery invoice. 

I think it will be correct from tax perspective as well.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi @Adam Bereda 

Thanks for the response.

I have created the Instant Advance Invoice and received a payment against it.

Now to offset it against the Customer Order Debit Invoice and how I will execute in Customer Offset window?

Screenshots will be really helpful

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi,

Customer offset will be between CUPIA item (customer payment in advance) and Debit invoice when it is PostedAuth, i.e. after it is released and printed .

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi @Adam Bereda 

Getting confused a bit.

U want me to create a Instant Advance Invoice and then create a Customer Payment in Advance .

Then Offset the Payment in Advance with Customer Order Debit Invoice??

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Well, yes… It is a way to use advance against final delivery invoice. What would you do in case you have created Customer order Advance invoice and got it paid?

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

@Adam Bereda

Actually the issue is the advance payment which I am receiving from Customer also contains the tax amount.

Now when I am trying to create a Payment in Advance using Mixed Payment , I am not able to connect the Tax as in my case tax is calculated using Tax Calculation Structure.

So the N voucher which is getting created for Payment in Advance do not have tax component.

Hope I am able to explain my issue.

My confusion is :

If I will create a Instant Advance invoice and then create a Customer Payment in Advance . Then Offset the Payment in Advance with Customer Order Debit Invoice.

Why Instant Advance Invoice is created and how it satisfies the tax thing

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I thought you have understood what Shehan said in first reply in this thread. You cannot use tax structure in advance payment created by mixed payment. BUT if you create (dummy) advance invoice with relevant structure, tax structure in advance payment created by payment of this advance invoice will be inherited from invoice and you will see tax in the payment voucher. Was not that obvious? 

What I was trying to explain to you was a way to connect payment in advance created as a result of advance invoice paid (created using instant invoice functionality, if not possible through customer order as it does not yet exist) to final customer order debit invoice. I understood that it would not be possible to connect such advance paid to final customer order invoice by Advance invoice amortization functionality on customer order.
When payment in advance is used in manual customer offset against final invoice, relevant tax entries are created as well. 

If this does not resolve your issue - I am sorry for misunderstanding.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi @Adam Bereda 

Thank u so much for the detailed explanation.

But I am not getting the Payment in advance in Customer Offset window which got created due to advance invoice paid.

I think I am doing some mistake.

If possible can u replicate this scenario and put the screenshot. As a new comer it will be really helpful for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

As per my understanding, you should be able to include items of CUPIA series (customer payment in advance) in customer offset window together with other customer invoices and payments. 
I am using old IFS version and would like to avoid confusions with screenshots taken there.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi @Adam Bereda 

Thank you so much for your patience reply :)

Now, I am able to offset the Payment In Advance with Final Customer Order Debit Invoice using Customer Offset window.

Just a query, in case I have received excess advance payment which is more than the Final Customer Order Debit Invoice. How to deal such situation as in Customer Offset window Remaining Amount on Payment should be zero in order to save & approve.

Thanks in Advance.

Best Regards,

Rakesh Rout

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

In customer offset window you can manually amend offset amount allocated to each item - to register partial payment for an item. In case advance and invoice amount do not match, you can allocate at maximum lower amount to the bigger document…

Once done, please check if all tax postings are meeting your expectation.

And you can consider using instant advance invoice as a temporary measure only - when final customer order is created, you can create customer order advance amount and pay it by offset with existing instant CUPIA - this way you will match in offset same amounts, and you will be able to use amortization feature on the customer order in regular way.