Solved

Quick Report Locks up IFS

• 15 September 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

What would cause a quick report to lock-up IFS when exported to Excel?  I have a quick report that if viewed in IFS, will return the results quickly, but if I try to export the quick report to excel, IFS runs and runs and eventually locks up

icon

Best answer by BillatREM 15 September 2021, 22:35

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Cool, yeah running the quick report is only going to return the first few hundred records until you scroll down.  Exporting has to run the whole list.  The timeout is usually an indication of records in the millions. 

Other checks are to sub Count(*) into the query just to see what you are getting or use Ctrl-End on the quick report to force IFS to run to the bottom.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

One of your questions got me thinking.  “How many records in the quick report?”  While I have a parameter in the quick report to give me GL records for a given month, the report is based on a custom view which I did not write.  That custom view did not have any time limits so it was producing a dataset with millions of records causing IFS to time out.  I modified the custom view to only look for current year records and all works fine now.

The Quick report view only return a set number of records so I did not see the timeout there, only on the export to excel.

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Probably need more detail….these are all the things I would check if I ran across a similar problem.

How many records in the quick report?

When doing the export, what is the Output format?

Do other reports export fine following the same method?

Has this report ever worked for export?

Have you tried modifying the report parameters to limit the dataset to ensure a small number of records works ok?

Have you tried running the same query from SQL Query Tool and exporting the records from there?