Solved

Need to modify accounting year and periods

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

We are using IFSAPP10. A mistake was made when I created the company. The accounting year 2022 should have been defined has from 2021-05-01 to 2022-04-30 but was defined from 2022-05-01 to 2023-04-30.

We have yet to make any transactions in this environment. How can I correct this?

I have tried to change the year for each accounting period in the year but I get an error message:

Where do I change the year opening period?

How do I correct this mistake?

icon

Best answer by Thomas Peterson 22 March 2023, 21:40

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

You can’t change period 0 in that way.   Furthermore, when changing the periods, the dates still must pass validations, meaning the dates can’t overlap or skip.   

It’s not that easy. to change all of the existing periods (inserting new but keeping the same year). For example, if we needed to insert a new year 2021 that’s really easy.  Changing 2022 to go back to 2021 (and all other years) may take some effort. 

If you know external files, I tend to believe the easiest way is to use external files. I've done it many times. The problem is I’m not even sure if external file will allow you to back date an existing year. 

Assuming you just created the company, and assuming you have never used external files, it may be easiest to remove the company and start over.    Especially if this is in TEST.   

In the example below, I inserted a new year 2003. But this does not appear to be what you wish to do. If you could insert a 2021 year, that would be easy - use the option to create new periods.  

Best regards,

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

@Thomas Peterson  we have just landed in our new PROD, when Finance noticed the mistake. Starting over the company is not an option.

I do not want to a a new year I want to fix the years I have but IFS will no let me.

The accounting year 2022 is now irrelevant. Can I just delete it?

The definition of the accounting periods of accounting years 2023, 2024 and 2025 need to be corrected. But I do not know how.

I am familliar with external files. Can you give me a bit more information on that avenue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

Accounting periods and year can be deleted but … need to start at the end of the process and work forward.  In any accounting period you probably have user groups attached.  You may also have multiple ledgers (such as one or more internal ledgers). 

See your period 12 for year 2022, assuming you wish to delete that year you need to remove periods first. To remove the period, you must first remove the user groups from the period.  

I’m sorry, but I don’t have a good sample company with minimal data I can easily replicate exactly what you need to do.  My testing companies have multiple ledgers and other making it X times more difficult to replicate your exact situation.   

You can test external files -I can’t be 100% positive it will allow you to change what you need changes.  But it would be an easy test.  Ideally replicate this in TEST first.   If your familiar with external files - then you would create a new file type and template from the view. See the external file types and the RMB option to create a new file type and template from the view.  Choose that view for the accounting  periods.  Run the external file - exporting the existing accounting periods.   Change the data in excel, and load that back in.   Typically, IFS will then follow the business rules and update the data.   I have not tested the type of change you want to make. I’ve always had to adjust periods for example calendar to 4-4-5, change start / end dates. I have not tested - the ability to change a 2023 year to date back to a 2022 period date, and that sounds like what you want.   

I would need time to test. 

Best regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

I created a new company - what I believe was like your company.  Then exported the periods, then deleted the periods for 1 year (only for testing).  

After reloading the periods, I now have …  A year 2022, that “now” goes back to 2021. 

The key is - export data “as is” via external files - The view is ACCOUNTING_PERIOD. Create the file type and template based on that view.  

Then after exporting - “if you have fixed assets” delete the FA Calendar periods. They are easy to re-create.  Then delete the user groups from the periods. Then delete the periods.   

Edit the excel (CSV) export to be correct (in terms of dates and descriptions). Load the external file back in.  Make sure all is Good, create the user groups per periods and re-create the FA calendar. Both are RMB options in the appropriate screens.  

“IF” you need detailed assistance - email.   

I tested and I know the process works.  You just need to delete and start over.  But the process only takes minutes.  I’m fast, it only took me less than 5 minutes to fix.   

The reason why we need to delete is “per my understanding” you need to go back in time. For example, A 2022 FY, needs to start back in 2021. You can’t do that type of edit.   You can start new. And external files allows the “new” records super fast. 

Best regards

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

I have tried to use an Excel Migration Job to update the accounting periods for each accounting year already created and I keep getting “It is not allowed to create a new ordinary period with a date lesser than year opening period.” when I validate the lines to be imported.

Same message then when I was trying manually directly in IFS.

I will try to figure out the external file but I do not know how to identify the API and the function that updates these records.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

External file will not work more than the Excel Migration Job since both would be using the exact same API call.

This is the information that is preventing IFS from accepting my changes. Anyone know where this is kept in IFS and/or the DB?

If I could change those parameters after deleting everything related to the accounting periods, I think IFS would accept it but it is just a guess on my part.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

I tested this.    You cannot update per the dates you wish to update. You need to delete the periods.   Then reload the periods.   I outlined the steps in previous comments.   

Copy from previous posting --- Then after exporting - “if you have fixed assets” delete the FA Calendar periods. They are easy to re-create.  Then delete the user groups from the accounting periods. Then you can delete the periods.   

Edit the excel (CSV) export to be correct (in terms of dates and descriptions). Load the external file back in.  Make sure all is Good, create the user groups per periods and re-create the FA calendar. Both are RMB options in the appropriate screens.  

Best regards,

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

In response to the screen image / question.   This is simply a function used to create the accounting periods - for example what year do we start and how many years do we create.  After the company creation, that it’s all in the accounting periods. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

I see this option on your company creation screen image above.  - I hope you did not make this selection when the company was created. Typically, this is never used in North America, its only used when mandated. Some countries in Asia do this. 

It makes this even far more difficult to fix, you would need to delete the voucher series.  It gets far more difficult. 

How attached are you to that company ID?   You can create a new company and in that process copy all “except” periods to the new company.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

@Thomas Peterson  thanks for all your help!

Where do I find the Fixed Assets calendar periods? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

In the screen depreciation calendar.  You may have more than one calendar, probably not, but it’s possible. Populate, then delete the individual periods. 

Best regards

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

@Thomas Peterson 

How do I delete the user “groups per voucher series”? Doing RMB on a line in the voucher series gets me to an empty screen. But if I run “select * from VOUCHER_TYPE_USER_GROUP order by voucher_type” in the SQL Querry Tool I can see 191 lines.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

You can start in different places, but the screen you refer to is 

Then RMB to the user group per voucher series. 

The above is a typical set up - one series per year.   If you chose the company creation option to have voucher series per period, you then have 12X as many records or more.  The routine maintenance is far greater when choosing that option.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

@Thomas Peterson THANK YOU!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, 

No problem. Best regards