Solved

Web client script to poll for change in the record

Userlevel 4
Badge +9
  • Sidekick (Partner)
  • 59 replies

Hi Experts,

I would like to know whether the following scenario is possible via a client script,

1.  We send an outbound integration on a particular entity with the user who created as a part of the body (ex: request_id, created_by)
  2.  At a later point another request comes in as an inbound integration (not a response to the previous one, this is a separate request) with some additional info alongwith the initially sent fields (ex: request_id, created_by). We update the additional fields on the particular entity.

At this point, if the user is on the same screen on the webclient, is it possible for the user to be notified that the entity has gotten updated by the integration?

I tried with an alert BR, but since these are separate processes the alert isn’t shown. I am thinking of a client script solution where we could introduce a poll on an interval to check for a change in data and show an alert based on a change. I couldn’t find a client script function which could do this kind of polling.

Is this possible?

icon

Best answer by Anjula Priyanath 24 May 2022, 07:21

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Miraj,

As my knowledge, it’s not possible to show an alert when updating the record in the background process(server side), as the alert is being shown on the client side.

As you tried to do this using client script, you should have some client-side triggering points to execute the client script(Client scripts are client configurations).

If your requirement is to be notified the user that the record has been already modified via integration, you can do it using some triggering point such as when user saves the record, button click, refresh screen, etc. Otherwise, it’s not possible to do using configurations.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Miraj,

Agree with what @Anjula Priyanath mentioned.

As mentioned by Anjula, you can use some triggering points to trigger the client scripts as below.

1. Use field in the screen to show entity has already updated(But this will update only during the page refresh)
  2. Use button in the screen to check whether the entity has already updated(attach client script to this)

Thanks,

Hasara

Userlevel 6
Badge +26

Hi @Miraj 

As answered in previous comments, what you are looking for is probably not supported OOTB.

Can you elaborate on the business flow? Why do users needs to be notified of changes to the record(s)?

Cheers!

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

@Shneor 

The customer has the scenario where he wanted to split an existing integration in to two. Currently, FSM sends a request, gets the response and processes it in the same transaction and notifies the UI.
The new approach is to send the request from FSM, the processing happens asynchronously in the customers’ end, and a new inbound integration message is sent in to FSM (similar to the reponse in the previous scenario).

So, the question from the customer was, when this new inbound message comes in and processes can we notify the user if he happens to be on the same screen that sent the request. My initial thought was to have something like a sleep(5000) function within a while loop and poll the database for desired changes.But, by trying this out myself and looking at the responses above, I feel like this is not possible. 

I can go back to the customer with this. but just wanted to make sure if there was something that I was missing 🙂