Question

Mobile sync - Batch Delta

• 4 October 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi All,

I’m struggeling with some sync rules. I have a custom view, with a custom metadata table, and a sync rule. When I set the sync rule to Batch-all, it works fine.

But when I put it on Batch-Delta, it only sends a Transaction Type ‘UPDATE’. New records aren’t then pushed to mobile. I tried with Real Time, but then nothing is pushed at all.

Any toughts?

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @drooij ,

Yes, you can certainly create a new custom table in the database with the right permissions.  I’m going off memory, but I believe you can do it with the built-in SQL Query screen if your role has a function something like ALLOWDBEDIT.  If that doesn’t work, then whoever is your DBA can add the table and appropriate indexes.  Someone on this community probably knows for sure.  I don’t have access to an FSM environment anymore.

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi @BrianG ,

Thanks,

“It is common to create a view to sync to mobile if you only need to view the data and not update it in the mobile client”

We have a scenario where we the data also can be modified/deleted. A batch all isn’t preferred due to performance. But I understand it’s not possible with a custom view, I need to create a table for that. We don’t have enough permission to create a new table via SQL Server Management. 

Do you know if creating a table via SQL will work? For example:

CREATE TABLE table_name (
    column1 datatype,
    column2 datatype,
    column3 datatype,
);    

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi @drooij ,

Yes, you can certainly create custom database tables and custom metadata to define the custom tables.  The question of why you would choose a table or a view would be answered by your purpose for the custom object.  It is common to create a view to sync to mobile if you only need to view the data and not update it in the mobile client.  A typical use is for service history.  In this scenario you should use a Batch-All sync rule. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi @BrianG ,

Thank you.

“The sync rule must be based on a database TABLE for inserts/updates/deletes”

Is it possible to create a new database table, besides via a sql view with a custom metadata?

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Based on the original question, I believe that Batch-All is the only valid method.  If you have a database VIEW in the sync rule, there is no mechanism to trigger any action when data updates.  The sync rule must be based on a database TABLE for inserts/updates/deletes to trigger an extract..  There is no baseline business policy that will be executed to send an outbound message if data in the source tables of a view is changed.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +26

Hey @drooij 

Have you resolved your issue? If yes, can you please write what it is?

Cheers!

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi @Marcin Drozdowski 

Xml is fine, and all parameters are included. I also have an extraxt rule. Is an Batch-Delta sync rule only for updating existing records, and not capabele of sending a DELETE transaction?  

Badge +1

Hi,

did you check content of XML of the initial query? Are there all parameters included? Did you define any extract restrictions or extensions?