Question

Structured content and digitazion standards

• 30 September 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Digitization is gaining momentum and is hyped in many corporate powepoints, but how can we as users of IFS DocMan move from pdf attachments to objects, to receiving structured information from suppliers?

Are there any standards supported by IFS and suppliers that  I could research in order to facilitate this? 

Would appreciate to know more, and also get in touch with users that already are on the journny! 

Regards, Dan

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

@Joakim Fransson @JoScSe @jlunse 

Would you have any pointers here, of places to start? I know there are standards in this area, which IFS has been looking into a few times.

As a general comment, I think you are asking for working more with "structured data" (record, attributes) rather than "unstructured data" (what most documents are in IFS Document Management).

I guess we will always have the latter but should probably focus more on getting the former, when we can. It seems obvious that IoT and related solutions is key here, plus perhaps also standards.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi

We have e.g. been looking into ISO 15926, STEP, as well as using .ifc (BIM) to import and exchange/enrich data related to supplier/contractor collaboration. There are tools in IFS Apps/IFS Cloud to extract and import data using templates. Also consider the capabilities in Asset Design to manage the design/re-design and prepare for operation statuses of data related the project/asset. 

/Joakim

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

We also take an active part in the standardization work done via the SEIIA (Swedish Industrial Interoperability Association) organization helping to identify easier ways to improve the interoperability between companies and organizations related to the asset information and to influence on the different standards in the market, and how to utilize them in the best way in specific pilot studies together with many companies in the Nordic region.

Badge +1

Thank you for the input, would appreciate any link to content to read up on, 

Dan