Solved

Is there a way to connect a document to Purchase Order generically?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

We have created a document class for SOPs. We would love to be able to connect those SOPs relating to topics specific to the purchase order management to the Purchase Order window, regardless of which record is pulled up. If someone was making a new Purchase Order and it was blank or viewing an existing one we would like them to be able to access the same generic SOP document from the attachments. 

icon

Best answer by Mathias Dahl 14 March 2022, 17:39

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Following.  I’ve wanted this also but our IT department doesn’t know how to do it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

Let me verify what you want to do here:

When in the PO window, regardless of which record you have selected, you want to always see a fixed set of documents under Attachments/Documents (plus, I assume, any PO-specific documents too)?

That can be achieved by "hacking" the Object Connection Transformation functionality, using a less-known part of it, which is that you can hard code the keys for the Source object.

You can define a transformation rule there from some Source object (pick one that fits, DocFolder might be a good fit) to the Target (PurchaseOrder).

See example below.

First, I created a document folder to keep my documents. It does not matter that it is a document folder, but it fits quite well for what we are going to do:

Make a note of the folder sequence there.

Now connect the documents to this folder:

Next, create a new rule in Object Connection Transformation as below:

Save. Done.

Now, after selecting any PO in the PO screen, the same documents appear:

Above, you can see these documents are not really attached to the PO, they are just listed there because of the new transformation rule.

If this is not what you wanted, you're welcome anyway, ask again :)

Good luck!

/Mathias

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

This is exactly what I needed! Thank you so much for the answer. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Thank you Mathias!  This helped me too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Great! 💪🏻🙃💪🏻🔥

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Wow.. that was a next level solution :heart_eyes:

I wanted to do the exact same few years ago and did that with a custom event to create new doc reference object each time a record is created. This is a much cleaner and a sustainable solution. Thanks @Mathias Dahl for enlightening 🌟:pray:

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Wow.. that was a next level solution :heart_eyes:

I wanted to do the exact same few years ago and did that with a custom event to create new doc reference object each time a record is created. This is a much cleaner and a sustainable solution. Thanks @Mathias Dahl for enlightening 🌟:pray:

Hehe, yes that’s my thing, next-level solutions! :-)

But yes, a custom event would have been the next option, especially if there would be a need for greater flexibility.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Trying this out in Apps10, but there doesn’t seem to be a Folder Sequence field?

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

Trying this out in Apps10, but there doesn’t seem to be a Folder Sequence field?

Please check your Column Chooser.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Legend, thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

One other issue here that I have now come across. For objects in which we have documents attached to specific records (Cases, Non-Conformance Reports) it appears you can’t have this object connection transformation to a folder as well or it overrides the ability of users to add attachments directly to the record? Is there a way around this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

One other issue here that I have now come across. For objects in which we have documents attached to specific records (Cases, Non-Conformance Reports) it appears you can’t have this object connection transformation to a folder as well or it overrides the ability of users to add attachments directly to the record? Is there a way around this?

Try and see what happens if you change the Editable field to Target instead of None. If that doesn't help I'm afraid we have hit the limit on what this hack can do.