Solved

IFS EE presents "Save" dialog when clicking attached EDM document instead of viewing within window

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Recently, our newly deployed workstations have been handling EDM files (attachments within IFS) differently than prior configurations. Is there a setting that defines what the IEE does when a user selects a linked document (i.e. a vendor invoice that have been uploaded to EDM and attached to the Posting Proposal). In the past this action would simply show a view of the actual document (PRF, JPG etc.), but now IFS EE triggers a “Save” dialog and will not let the user see within IEE (they must save the file then open it separately in the default viewer (depending on the file type).  

icon

Best answer by Mathias Dahl 4 August 2022, 08:58

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @woprhowe 

Can you send a screenshot of the prompt to save dialog? Usually this save dialog comes in Aurena client and I have not seen it in IEE.

Also does your new workstations have default applications set for each file type?

Thanks and Regards,

Amila

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

This sounds really strange, but I might misunderstand the problem. As Amila says, some screenshots would be helpful to explain the problem.

In general, if you view a file in Docman, IFS EE downloads the file, then calls out to Windows to "open" it, in the way Windows seems fit (it uses the Windows registry and checks for what application should open a certain file type/extension)

Do you by any chance have any document macros installed? They can totally change the way a certain "file operation" in Docman behaves.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

I am sorry I did not respond sooner as I appreciate the two responses. It would appear that this issue only happens in the “Instant Authorization” screen in IEE when approving invoices. The user needs to view the invoice in order to verify that the charges are correct. We have tried using Foxit as the default PDF handler and this is when we get the prompt to save the PDF locally. We replaced Foxit with Adobe Acrobat (latest version through Adobe Creative Suite) and it produces and error message stating “A running instance of Acrobat has produced an error”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

@woprhowe 

Was your problem resolved? It sounds more like a problem in the invoice area rather than in Docman, but I could be wrong. Can you open the same files by finding them in, say, the Document Revision screen?

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Yes, I believe that you are correct as this behavior only seems to happen in this area of IFS, however, I rolled my end-user back to an older version of Adobe Acrobat and we no longer get prompted. It does not seem that IFS is consistent in it’s treatment of EDM files, so not sure where to go next in my investigation. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Yes, I believe that you are correct as this behavior only seems to happen in this area of IFS, however, I rolled my end-user back to an older version of Adobe Acrobat and we no longer get prompted. It does not seem that IFS is consistent in it’s treatment of EDM files, so not sure where to go next in my investigation. 

Hi, thanks for your reply. If "downgrading" Adobe Acrobat changes how this behaves I would say the problem doesn't lie in IFS. Would you agree?

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Yes, I cannot disagree with you on your point. The one thing that I might have left out is the we also use Foxit (both editor and reader) and the behavior in this area of IFS is also unique compared to other areas where EDM files are attached. It prompts the user to save the attachment every time, but I can find no settings within Foxit that would have caused this to change. My hope in posting this was that maybe someone else had experienced a similar issue and maybe there were settings in IFS (or elsewhere) that might allow the default PDF viewer to simply display the PDF in the IFS provided pane (window) without user interaction.