Question

How to automatically uncheck default boxes when creating new revisions?

• 12 November 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi,

when creating new document revisions, system checks the ‘Copy File’ box automatically (by default). 

Is there way to uncheck it by default when creating a new document revision?

Right Click-->Create New Revision

Thank You

Regards

Nimesh

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi Nimesh,

No, it’s not possible. Possibly a custom event could remove the copied file when the new revision has been created, but it might be hard to find a good triggering point for that.

What is the background for this? I would think that most users like that check box selected by default.

/Mathias

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

We would like to also have it unchecked. We only make new revisions, because there is a new file revision.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

Thanks for the input!

That way of working suggests to me one of two things:

1. The new revision will be so different from the previous one that there is no point in copying the previous one and using that as a base.
  2. You prepare the new revision “outside” IFS, and have a file ready to be checked in to the new revision as soon as it is created.

From my view, if IFS is the master for your document management work and, at some point you decide that you need a new revision, then you create a new revision and copy the old file so that you don’t need to start from scratch. That, to me, feels most natural, and the way I think we propose people work. I of course realize that there are many different ways of working with documents since each document can be a small world in itself, with completely different requirements.

Comments?

Hi @Mathias Dahl Thank you for the reply. Checking the box will copy the previously uploaded document to new revision. Users then need to delete it and upload the correct attachment again. So, it is a double work as to delete older file first and upload the relevant file again. Therefore, it is required to be unchecked automatically since users are forgotten to uncheck most of the time when creating new revisions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

@nimesh 

Thanks! Then tell them to create the new document file from Docman instead, and don’t work with them “outside” IFS, and it will all be fine :)

Joking a bit here, and perhaps this way of working is not applicable for you/them. But what if it is?

Anyway, to conclude, there is no way to control this check box today, neither in IEE or Aurena. It would be nice, of course, if there was a general way to control the default state of all check boxes in the system, via the user profile. But we don’t have it yet.

@Mathias Dahl Thank you for the confirmation.