Question

Document status and access

• 14 September 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

In V8, is there a way in the document management system to restrict access to documents in obsolete status for users who have only view access on doc class.

We would like to give them view access only to documents in released status, so that they are not able to find a document in preliminary or obsolete status.

Thanks for your help

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,

There's no built-in feature like that, but it should be possible by adding a custom event that executes when a document changes status. When that happens, a special event action can disable or enable the access lines for persons that only have view access, as needed.

Authoring the PL/SQL code to be used in the event action is left as an exercise for the reader :)

Good luck!

/Mathias

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

@Carole As a workaround, what if you Delete the Access records in Access Tab in the Document Revision when the Document Revision set to Obsolete?

and further you may set the Document to Restricted Access 

Restricted Access
If this check box is selected, you should have at least view access to the document to see its general information (e.g., in the Document Revision window). Unauthorized persons will not even see that the document exists. 
If the checkbox is cleared, you can see general information about the document even if you do not have view access. You should have administrator access to the document revision to change this setting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Thanks, @AanHGTS for asking that, since it made me remember another built-in feature, which is the ability to enable disabled access lines from the Release Document Assistant. The way this work is that you have one or more disabled lines on the access template for the document class, or you manually change the access definition on the document. Then, when you release the document you enable the disabled access lines. That however only solves half of your requirement; removing the access when the document becomes obsolete has to be done manually or, as mentioned above, using a custom event.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@Mathias Dahl thanks for your suggestion. I had not thought to create such an event for that and it will solve our need.

@AanHGTS  Regarding the checkbox “restricted access”, I have not found it. Existing in V8 ?

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

@Carole If you don’t see this on APP8, then might introduced on later versions. This is in APP10

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Is it this setting on the doc class?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@AanHGTS .
I confirm you that in V8, we do not have this checkbox :-( 

Many thanks for your help.

Have a nice day