Question

Aurena Approval Panel notes are Cut off

• 11 November 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8
  • Sidekick (Customer)
  • 64 replies

We are on Apps 10  UPD 14 and one of our departments is using Aurena at the moment. We’re having an issue with the approvals panel. The notes get cut off. This field in IEE is 2000 characters long but when the step is approved in Aurena, you can’t see what the notes say. Is there a way to change this behavior? Can I modify the attachments pane approval tab to have the cards show custom fields? I’ve looked at this for a while and I can’t figure it out.

Notes are cut off. Text does not wrap and once the step is approved, you can’t view the entire note.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

We’re using IFS Cloud 22R1 and it looks the same in the Cloud Document Revision > Approval Tab view which I think is what you are showing above.  You can’t even really call this a bug, this is just one of those dumb Aurena short comings where the folks designing the UI really have no idea how it would actually need to be used.  I can’t find a way to edit the note from the document revision, which means you can’t have a flyout to see the full note.  Nor does it look like you can modify the properties on the page design of that Entity.

The only way I can see to get to the note is from the My Document Approvals view and there is an edit button there.  The flyout from there allows the visibility of the note.

Let’s see if any IFS employee can offer any better behavior aside from putting it on the idea wall to provide visibility that should be there out of the box.

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

It probably would have been better to put this in the Document Management forum.

@Mathias Dahl 

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@ShawnBerk from your perspective since there is an actual tab associated with the approvals (my screenshot wasn’t a good one I’m realizing, it’s the approvals on the engineering part navigator under the attachments panel) but for you I would think maybe if you hit the … at the bottom:

You can go in here and change this to “multiline” and maybe it will show more characters?

Since the “attachments panel” isn’t a group or element in the engineering part navigator I can’t seem to find any properties in the page designer to control the behavior of the cards.

There is no “approval” tab associated with this page at all which makes things more difficult because if there were, I could try the above step to make the field text wrap.

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Thanks @Anna 

I tried changing to multi-line, refreshing, reloading, researching after the publish and it never seemed to change the display of the note.

We don’t have approvals setup on the Engineering Part Navigator yet, so this was the closest I could find to your situation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

We are on Apps 10  UPD 14 and one of our departments is using Aurena at the moment. We’re having an issue with the approvals panel. The notes get cut off. This field in IEE is 2000 characters long but when the step is approved in Aurena, you can’t see what the notes say. Is there a way to change this behavior? Can I modify the attachments pane approval tab to have the cards show custom fields? I’ve looked at this for a while and I can’t figure it out.

Notes are cut off. Text does not wrap and once the step is approved, you can’t view the entire note.

Hi,

We have solved this in IFS Cloud, in two ways:

1. We enabled the multiline property on the Note field in the card, such that longer texts wrap around. We had to set a limit on the number of characters to be disabled though, to not make the card grow too high. We set the limit to 200 characters there, would that work for you?

2. We enabled/added a List mode as well under Attachmens / Approvals where you can get the Note field to open in a large text editing area. This is not possible to do on Apps 10 since there is no framework support for switching to List mode.

If you file a support case about this, we can look into doing at least 1, on Apps 10. And please have a look at the question above.

Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@Mathias Dahl when the multiline property is enabled and the approval is approved, can you still get to the note by clicking the notepad symbol as seen here under the characteristics info to see more than 200 characters?

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

No, it will not work in the card, it only works in lists and, as mentioned above, we cannot get a List mode enabled for Apps 10.

How long notes do you typically have, or how long are the longest ones, and why?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@Mathias Dahl So from our standpoint, we used to use a screen that had an approvals tab called “Engineering Part Revision”. That screen doesn’t exist in Aurena Apps 10 so we’ve had to convert to “Engineering Part Navigator” which as you know, doesn’t have an approvals tab on the screen. Because of our approvals process, we put very specific information into the notes field for the approver and the approver can also add their own notes to the field and given the field is 2000 characters we could write a book if we wanted to. I’m not particularly looking to enable this functionality of a pop out to view the notes for Apps 10 at all. I’m asking if in Cloud can we view the whole note from the Engineering Part Navigator > Attachments > Approval Cards since we don’t have an approval tab on the Engineering Part Navigator. If not, does the screen called “Engineering Part Revision” exist in Cloud that has the approvals tab enabled so we can see historic notes? If the answer is no to all of the above, our users aren’t going to like that response. We could set a part up and months down the line something is going on with the part and we want to see what specific notes we put on the approvals for that specific part. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@Mathias Dahl Do you have any response to the comments above? Specifically about an alternative screen that allows us to look at approvals tied to Engineering Part Revisions? From our standpoint, Aurena Apps 10 doesn’t have an “Engineering Part Revision” which is what we’re used to using. Does Cloud offer this screen? We need the ability to see all of our notes at any given time for reference in the future.