Question

Apps9: Purging no longer valid price lists

• 5 October 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Am hoping someone can give me some guidance on how they manage price lists that are no longer valid. 

We operate on a system where haulage is included as part of the price per part. Which means that each price list has to factor the distance from the source to delivery point. 

As a result, we have a price list per delivery post code, per pricing level for all of our customers. Currently 22k price lists. 

We revise our prices approx twice per year, so the number of lists are growing. 

The update procedure we use (Migration scripts from CSV) takes a long time to run as it performs checks on previous lists. 

I would like to remove the price lists that are no longer valid to speed this process up. 

Is there anything anyone can suggest to remove those price lists or archive them perhaps?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

If the price list has ever been used in a customer order line, then it can’t be removed.

The best you can do is to use the Valid To date on the price list itself and then modify the migration jobs to only update the pricelists that are still valid.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi Shawn, coming back to this issue. I have managed to delete price lists that are attached to customer orders that are now Invoice/Closed. 

Am not entirely sure of the impact in removing, but I wanted to check if it makes sense that am able to do this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Hi Bruce,

That might make sense since you mention that all of the connected orders are invoiced/closed.  Once they have been invoiced, the pricing updates and changes are locked, so maybe that is a gate to allow the old pricelists to be removed.  I’ve never pursued it that far to realize there was a condition where it was possible.  

I would think the impact is minimal because you have the record of the price charged on the customer order line for any given product and customer.  You would only lose the historical ability to see the pricing history of a product if it didn’t happen to have been sold on an order during the time period before the next pricelist came into effect.  Probably just depends on how much retrospective analysis anyone is doing for pricing history.  If that doesn’t matter or the product changes fast enough that the pricing in the pricelists are of no value over time, then it shouldn’t cause any other ill effects that I can think of.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Thanks Shawn