Question

Incremental load with objversionfrom oData API

• 13 March 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Me and my colleagues are part of a project to ingest data from IFS to google cloud platform, where we collect and curate data from ifs and other systems in order to gain insights using PowerBI.

We would like to access objversion each table in the client API, so that we can load data  hourly both incrementally and idempotently.
But this field is not exposed in the API.

One option presented to us was to add a custom field from the objversion, but this poses another problem, because custom fields are added in the CFT tabal, which mean they are not part of any index on the table. This means that each request to a table performs a full table scan, which we do not want for two reasons:
   1. It is slow and sometimes times out
   2. It is too much processing on the database.

Another option would be to load the entire table each hour, but that won't cut it for obvious reasons.

In our estimation, exposing the objversion as a field in the client API would solve our problem with minimal effort involved. We also think this would benefit a lot of your customers.

To the IFS team: Can you add this, expose this field in the API? If not, why not?
To the community: How have you solved this issue?

2 replies

Badge

If you haven't already, reach out to the support team or community forums for IFS to inquire about exposing the objversion field in the client API. They would be the best source of information regarding the feasibility of this request and any potential reasons why it may not be currently available.

If the objversion field is not accessible through the client API, consider exploring other APIs or customization options provided by IFS. They may have additional interfaces or extension points that allow you to access the desired information.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

@roxandcar / @Carl Arnold  was this issue ever raised with IFS?

To me this is an important field if you want to build your own data warehouse in an efficient way…