Question

MRP Creates Purchase Req Despite Project Activity in Planned State

• 17 September 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

MRP has created a purchase req for a part. The only demand for this part is on a planned activity. I was under the impression MRP ignores activities that aren’t released. 

Interestingly i have another part on the same activity, and mrp correctly ignores this so must be something to do with the part??

Does anyone have an idea as to what may be going on?

Thanks in advance.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi!

When you investigate what (P)MRP is doing, always use MRP Part Information screen. Because this screen holds the snapshot of the demand- and supply data (P)MRP captured during the process. The Gross Requirements tab is the most useful tab I think. The Receipts and Deliveries tab is a little bit for power users and works well with MRP, but in a PMRP context you must remember the cross activity nettings that is going on.

Do you have a safety stock for part “A” and not for part “B”?

Badge +2

Hi!

@majose I have the same doubt as @chrisplant.

The MRP runs and generates Shop Order Requisitions (SOR). For this SOR are generated to Purchase Order Requisitions (POR).

Then the planning team analises SOR proposed by MRP and released it. Remind that if the planning team disagree with the MRP suggestions will change the lote size proposals. 

The MRP runs again. 

After that, the replenishment team starts ordering materials raw and packaging materials. Remind that we only order this materials for planned Shop Orders because this components Parts lead time its very reduced.

The problem is that the MRP creates an MRP Planned Demand needs. This needs are generated from Shop Order Requisitions in Status “Proposal Created” not accepted by the planning team.

The table below shows the Inventory Part availability planing for a Component X consumed on finish product A and B (wich shop orders are created) and C-QJW. This on its a fictitious product that is consumed on a Finish product A which Proposal Created was not accepted.As you see, 834 units of type MRP Planned Demand for an item C-QJW are generated.

Is there any way to ignore this MRP Planned Demand requisitions? 

Thank You

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hmmm... it feels that you @Castro12 are changing subject here slightly.

It seems like you are asking if there is a way to prevent MRP engine to stop exploding its MRP planned supply for a parent part into MRP planned demands for its components. Have I understand you correctly? We have the planning method M. (Manually planned. Demands for component parts are not generated.)

You set this planning method on manufactured parts which you don’t want to explode. I.e not generating MRP exploded demand for the components.

Could this be something for you? Your business gets more demand driven by using this planning method, but there is a risk when having deep BOMs and medium- to long lead times that you don’t get early signals about that your supply won’t be there in time.

-Mats

Badge +2

Good Afternoon @majose

If I define a Part as planning method M  MRP will not generate requisitions. I think this option is dangerous because I will not be warned of materials needs.

I think in my company case using planning method A is the perfect solution to manage Parts. This Parts has 1 to 3 days lead-time and we have fixed production plans to one week long. 

I think I wasn't clear :slight_frown:

So, an exemple for this two Finish manufactured products B with planning method A (MRP):

Product A = (composed by one unit of B and other of C)

Porduct B = (composed by one unit of D and other of E)

I know if I change the demand of higher levels planning the lower levels will not change, because the proposals are fixed. So dat I run MRP again.

1. You run MRP.
  2. You check Shop Order Requisitions (SOR) and there is proposals to Release 2 unit of product A and 3 units of product B.
  3. You decide that you will not accept the SOR for product A and ignore it. And Accept SOR of product B.
  4. You run MRP again. (Because I know if I change the demand of higher planning levels the  demand of levels below will not automatically change. The proposals are fixed)
  5. Then you go to your Purchase Requisition lines and notice that MRP suggests to release this 4 requisitions:
  • 2 X B as MRP Planned Demand
  • 2 x C as MRP Planned Demand
  • 3 X D as Shop Order Material
  • 3 X E as Shop Order Material

So, MRP still suggests to order materials with MRP Planned Demand for a Part  wich I don't want to produce.

Although I can change planning parameters of Parent parts this MRP Planned Demand will allways appeared if I didn't accept any SOR.

My question again Is there any way to ignore this MRP Planned Demand requisitions? :smile:

Thank You for your response! I Hope I was clear this time.