Question

Manufacturing acquiring split

• 24 June 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

In our site, we have one part number, for which we use Inventory Part Planning Manuf/Acquired split (50%/50%)

What of course means that 50% of supply is purchased and another 50% is produced

But there is one problem with that parts with Lead Times Differences

Of course, Purchasing Lead time is far ahead of manufacturing lead time.

It entails the thing that we are releasing purchase order much earlier than prodution order

And lets say we have a demand for the date X for 200 pcs. Because of the split 100 of them has purchase requisiton and another 100 has shop order requisition

When the Purchase requisiton is released and SO req isn't then there is 100 covered by PO and 100 uncovered.

After next MRP this uncovered 100 pcs is again netted and calculated with the 50% split

So on next day we have a 100 PO released. 50 pcs po req and 50 pcs SO req. In total it gives us split of 75% vs 25% instead of desired 50/50

Do you believe is there any way to avoid that, and keep orginal values for SO and PO req without creating a SO with due date so far away ?

I tried prodution schedule but as i saw in simul environment, these are not visible in inventory part avaialbility planning

We also need to keep in mind that there are frequent changes in customer forecast which impacts planning of this part. So with every change we will need to readjust everyone once released shop order.

If this would be indispensable, then i tought about using MRP action proposal per planner to do so but maybe some of you have better ideas

So, please let me know if you have gone throught something similar to this already

Add

Ive also been introduced to idea of creating new Top part which consist 0,5 of Manuf product and 0,5 of purchase product. That would solve may of our problems but this is gonna be big workaround not utlising IFS possibilities.

Moreover to won’t let us to track where the Manuf/Purch parts were send. Now, we can do that through Lot Batch Trachking 

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Wow, interesting observation! I quote you “So on next day we have a 100 PO released. 50 pcs po req and 50 pcs SO req. In total it gives us split of 75% vs 25% instead of desired 50/50”.

I can’t see a good way of avoiding it with the setup you describe, where the purchase lead time is much longer than the inhouse manufacturing lead time. I try out an alternative here below:

Since you say you just have ONE part with make/buy split...

Remove that split setup and then go for the workaround from Shop Order Requisitions screen - RMB Transfer Demand to Purchase Requisition. Then, within this dialog you can do your manual split between SO Req and PO Req Line. And then later, convert the PO Req Line to a PO Line. This is much more flexible, but it comes with more manual work.

In the Purchase Requisition Lines screen you have the “vice versa” functionality, if you rather would like to have THE part as purchased in Inventory Part.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Mats

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hello majose

it helps indeed, thank you

However as I can foresee there is still one issue unhandled

is the changing the POs and SOs when demand is changed

Thats actually even the bigger challenge I think (releasing or transferring PO→ SO or vv you can do by job)

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

You have the MRP Part Information screen for the specific PartNo and there you can look at the Open Supply and Demand Orders (you can navigate to the the order objects by clicking RMB), and within this page you have tab for MRP Action Messages. Here you see the MRP messages related to the PartNo, like Late Order, Early Order etc.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Yes,

that what I hoped for. To get into MRP Action Proposals per Planner and then see if I can “read” the correction actions from them

then we can schedule a migration job to run daily that will “execute” the MRP AP suggestions

That is the option of course

but then I've got a different recommendation, to create Part No that includes both Manuf and Purch parts (let's call it X_MP)

1x X_MP

include

0,5 X_M (Manufactured)

+

0,5X_P (Purchased)

This should solve the issue without any need of handling the things automatically (of course, structures still need to be updated beforehand. Current PN X with split 50%/50% must be changed with manufactured PN X_MP (Part must be manufactured because it is gonna be created by “packing” 0,5 of Manufactured and 0,5 of Purchased PArt)

Of course, this also has some cons and the bigger one I can see is that we won’t have any tracking whatsoever of the items, we won’t know where the Manufactured or Purchased Parts go (with the split we can still track it with Lot Batches, cause Manufactured and Purchased has different)

So if your MRP AP option seems much more elegant and “created to” handling this situation, the other one seems much simpler in terms of handling, however, it gives up one quite important aspect 

(traceability)

Ahh, I'm Lovin it :)