Solved

How to add unpurchased component into inventory

• 2 July 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hi Experts

Recently i came across with a business scenario where our client has an internal maintenance department and it performs maintenance on their own assets.

For Example: They are performing maintenance on an Air Conditioner. There is a fault in one component of air conditioner i.e. compressor so they purchase it through normal purchase process and replace it with the faulty one. Now, they get the faulty compressor repaired and keep it into inventory so that it can be used whenever required.

My Question is how to add unpurchased component (i.e. Faulty compressor which was repaired) into inventory. What would be the cost of that compressor? 

Do mention if anybody has experienced this kind of scenario.

looking for some positive response.

Regards

icon

Best answer by Sameera Perera 2 July 2021, 08:39

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi @Mirali ,

You have several options that can be used.

1. Use Repair type Shop Order to receive the Repaired Part. In there you can use component parts to maintain any additional parts used for repair. Repair labor cost can be maintain as Operation. In this way you can have detail picture of the Repaired part Cost.
  2. You can use Receive Inventory Part option to receive the Repaired part directly into inventory and update the final cost of the Part when receiving the part.
  3. You can use Counting Process to receive the repaired part and update the cost in the Counting Report.

But I believe most suitable solution is to use the Repair Shop Order as it can be used to have detailed level information of the cost and operation which carried out to repair the product.

Hope this will help.

Regards,

Akila

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi @Mirali Mirali,

1. You can enter an Inventory Part record, if this Faulty compressor is not already included in the inventory part records. You can enable serial / lot accordingly upon saving the Inventory Part record on the pop up window
  2. If you want this part to be located in an inventory location with a qty of 1, use ‘Receive Inventory Part’ window - > Search the inventory part number you created above and enter qty 1. At this point you can enter any serial num or lot number as needed (these fields will be enabled as defined in the inventory part window)
  3. Upon saving, you can define any cost values incurred with this accordingly
  4. Once save this record, cost details will be visible in the Inventory Part window -> Cost tab
  5. Inventory Part in stock window shows the qty and the location

Hope this helps!
Thanks
​​​​​​

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi Mirali,

As the part is said to be purchased through normal purchase process, it should have been registered as an inventory part already in the system.

Since the removed part is already repaired, my suggestion is to enable 'Allow Condition Code' in Part window and receive it with Condition Code : “Repaired”  into an inventory location at Maintenance Dept, via Receive Inventory Part window.

You can select “Allow Condition Code” in Part window (in General tab).

Afterwards, receive it into inventory via “Receive Inventory Part” window with condition code “Repaired”

At the point of receipt, you can specify the relevant Serial No and cost as well.

Otherwise, if you use the Maintenance Module in our system, you can use  Serial Object window (in Service and Maintenance -> Serial Object window) to keep track of the part and any maintenance activity performed on the part.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Thanks @Lakmini Weerakoon for your reply.

I understood the solution you provided above and hopefully will solve my query.

My only concern is, Is it the best practice to receive it from Receive Inventory part window. I was of the view that this window is used mainly for entering inventory part data manually shifting from old legacy system. Otherwise, it serves the purpose.

Regards 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

@AkilaR thank for the detailed response.

I am not very good with shop order functionality but will test the case and respond accordingly.

Entering inventory through counting looks like a workaround and does not seem appropriate.

Regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Is it the best practice to receive it from Receive Inventory part window. I was of the view that this window is used mainly for entering inventory part data manually shifting from old legacy system. Otherwise, it serves the purpose.

@Mirali, ‘Receive Inventory Part’ is recommended by IFS for any miscellaneous receipts. Do you think you could justify your business case (i.e. receiving the repaired item) into the inventory as a miscellaneous receipt when it comes to audits, etc? If yes, go ahead. Another option could be ‘Count Per Inventory Part’ but I think it’s mainly recommended by IFS to do stock adjustments. 

On a separate note, after reading @Sameera Perera ‘s  and @Lakmini Weerakoon ‘s replies, I gotto say that our business use a similar approach. The business case is that we purchase parts for projects (paid by the project) and when some of them are left after the project, we receive them back to the inventory at zero cost only (since they were paid by the project initially) What I wanted to tell you @Mirali is that if your business decide to go with the zero cost like we do, note that the inventory cost is going to go down when zero cost parts start coming in. Later if you issue zero valued parts only (according to the business need) it will be balanced again. 

Just a question to @Sameera Perera, do you think my business case (explained above) should also use a condition code? Didn’t use it upto now :(