Question

Customer Order shipping query URGENT

• 2 October 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi Members,

I have a doubt here:

A part has a stocking unit of measure of “EACH”. A case is made up of 12 each.

Scene 1: Customer ABC orders 4 eaches, and the order is shipped for 4 eaches.

Scene 2: Customer XYZ orders 1 case and the order is shipped for 1 full case. In this situation, the system should ship a complete case and not split it into eaches.

Is this possible? How do the parts need to be setup? Is there additional setup need for parts like unit of measure etc.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

I would suggest creating two different sales parts but both tied to the same inventory part, then use the Sales Part UoM conversion to handle when 1 EA = 1 EA versus when 1 pkg = 12 EA.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi Shawn,

Thanks!

Will the above then help in to ship a complete case and not split it into eaches?

Regards,

Vaishali Chandna

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi Shawn,

Also, here I am talking about just one Part, so how can we created 2 different parts if Part no is same?

Regards,

Vaishali Chandna

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Hi Shawn,

Thanks!

Will the above then help in to ship a complete case and not split it into eaches?

Regards,

Vaishali Chandna

It will if you teach everyone how it is working and they know the difference between a case and each.

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Hi Shawn,

Also, here I am talking about just one Part, so how can we created 2 different parts if Part no is same?

Regards,

Vaishali Chandna

That is the thing, this is only going to work right if you represent the difference between someone purchasing a case and someone purchasing 4 each.  Unless you have different part numbers for the different unit of measures either at the inventory part and sales part levels both OR as I suggested, just at the sales part level, I don’t see how you can define it to be a different UoM when you reach a certain quantity.

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Hi @Vchandna 

Make sure you have a look at the reservation rules on the site.  It would mean holding your inventory on handling units, but i believe you could meet your objective this way with just one part number.

Help file:

Handling Unit Optimized
Prio 1: Largest Quantity on Handling Unit
Prio 2: Outermost Handling Unit
Prio 3:
Prio 4:
Prio 5:
Handling Unit Optimzation Checked
Receipt Date with Timestamp Unchecked
Reserve from Transport Task Unchecked/Checked

This definition indicates the most optimized setup for usage of HU. It will trying to pick the HU with the largest quantity, i.e. trying to reserve less HUs as possible (example: if the demand is 20 pcs, a HU including 20 pcs will be reserved in front of two HUs including 10 pcs each). It will also try to pick outermost HU in front of HU being a part of a structure (example: if the reserve demand is 10 pcs and there exists an HU with this quantity, this will be reserved in front of the same type of HU which currently is put on a pallet, i.e. the pallet is in this case the outermost HU). If you reserve from created transport task this material will be evaluated from a handling unit perspective otherwise not.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

@paul harland Thanks Paul for your revert. However, if you check the above image, I am working on Version 8 and cannot see ‘Automatic Reservation’ tab in Site screen. 

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I don't remember if “Package part” is available in 8. But there you can create a sales part for 1case that will break down to 12EA for your part.