Solved

Country of Origin Usage

• 5 October 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi,

Currently i'm facing some problems to setup the Country of Origin functionality correct for a Customer of mine.

Country of origin can be setup on Inventory Part and Supplier for Purchase Part. Only 1 Country of Origin can be filled at the Inventory Part and that information is then fetched to the Country of Origin of the Supplier for Purchase Part.

No i'm with a question where i can't find the Best Practise from IFS perspective.

How do i have to handle the Country of Origin in the Inventory Part when a specific part is always purchased at the same supplier, but it's produced in China, Taiwan, Indonesia for that Supplier.

So the goods are delivered from the suppliers local warehouse in Europe to the demanding site in Europe, but that Supplier warehouse is supplied by the different factories in the different countries.

(i can't define upfront where the goods will be produced when the order is placed to the supplier)

How do i handle this in IFS, what is the best practise to setup the Country of Origin? (or which country to be used?)

Hope one of you has a great idea 🙂

icon

Best answer by Harley 21 October 2020, 11:00

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi Steven

I thought I would share our experience with handling multiple country of origins for a part. We do not have serial or lot batch tracked inventory, so what we do is apply a W/D/R code to the inventory as it is received on a purchase order. The W/D/R is used to denote the country of origin/country code. We can then segregate and trace the inventory and ensure that when we pick and deliver we can report the correct country of origin on our customer facing and export documents.

I know this doesn’t directly answer your question but it may help. 

Harley

Badge

Hi,

There are rules and regulations steering which should be the correct Country of Origin to use for a part. Ie it doesn’t matter where the supplier is located, it is where the “last substantial transformation” was done etc (details about this for example in EU regulations for non preferential origin -different from preferential origin which is related to free trade agreements). The rules of calculating correct CoO is depending on the first 4 numbers in HS code. (for example change in tariff heading or value added rule)

I haven’t seen/understand yet how IFS (ver 9) can handle suppliers with different manufacturer and CoO (which in theory could be another CoO than manufacturer). No separate field for preferential origin neither. I assume it should be handled manually to change/have control over this field on inv part, depending on what you have in stock and is delivering at the moment. And also have manual control on supplier CoO when buying (only affecting intrastat for import).

/Cecilia