Changing Inventory Locations

• 24 February 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5
  • Sidekick (Customer)
  • 11 replies

New to IFS. 

What’s the best way to update a Bin Location of an inventory item?

I’ve been shown how to do it in “Move Inventory Part” but then when we do a search for the item it shows up as two locations?

Is there a way to update the locations so only the current location shows up when searching?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi Benny,

Are you trying to move parts from one location to another? Is that what you meant as update locations?

Regards

Susith

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I think it’s the normal behaviour of the application to show every location which the part was previously stored even though the quantity is zero. You can filter on hand qty>0 in the search query if showing zero quantity locations is a nuisance.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

You may run the clean-up of inventory job (in Warehouse Management → Quantity in Stock) and clear lines with 0 quantity on hand items in Inventory Part in Stock window.

Each time an inventory part is created in a new location, the corresponding location record for the part is created and it can be viewed, for example, in the Inventory Part in Stock window. The last transaction date for the location of the inventory part is used to determine if a cleanup should be performed. You can either perform a cleanup of inventory directly.

All records with an on-hand quantity of zero and a last transaction date prior to the number of days specified in the Days Before Current Date field (in clean-up of inventory dialog)  , are removed from the Inventory Part In Stock window.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Thanks for the reply’s everyone. I’m used to using SAP which seems more user friendly from a warehouse perspective to me. 

How do you run the “clean up of inventory job”? 

I don’t want to delete all inventory parts that have zero stock on hand just the ones that have had bin location changes and are now stored in a new location.

Is there a better screen to be using than “Inventory Part in Stock” to search for parts in the warehouse?

It would be nice if it showed if any inventory was on Purchase also so we could see what we are expecting to be supplied but it doesn’t show on that screen either. Any ideas??

Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Benny ,

You can delete the 0-records from here:

The api for this is INVENTORY_PART_IN_STOCK_API.REMOVE__ (found in the debug console)

If you have the criteria for which records to delete, you can have a job that do that.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

A lot of questions from @Benny , I try to add some comments to see if it helps.

How do you run the “clean up of inventory job”? 

Answer: Normally you schedule the clean-up job and run it every night. In the clean-up job you can also choose how long you will keep the records having zero-stock. Records with no transactions after certain number of days.

I don’t want to delete all inventory parts that have zero stock on hand just the ones that have had bin location changes and are now stored in a new location.

Answer: Note that even if you remove a record having zero-stock you can receive the same part there again. It seems from the comment that you are more asking for the default location of the Inventory Part? I.e. you have fixed locations instead of floating locations? Default location you can enter in the Inventory Part/Default Locations tab. Inventory Part in Stock shows what you currently have in stock and it is not a way to control/plan where the part should be stored. There are other means for that like Default Location/Putaway logic.

Is there a better screen to be using than “Inventory Part in Stock” to search for parts in the warehouse?

Answer: Another screen for searching in your warehouse is the Warehouse Navigator page. There you can search and drill down through the warehouse structure.

It would be nice if it showed if any inventory was on Purchase also so we could see what we are expecting to be supplied but it doesn’t show on that screen either. Any ideas??

Answer: I think you are asking for the Inventory Part Availability Planning page, Here you can see what you have in stock on your site and also supply and demand i.e. Customer Orders, Purchase Orders, Transport Task etc… You can follow how the stock develops due to the current supply and demand you have on you part.

I hope my answers make sense, and that I have understood your questions correct.