Question

Purchase Order Change Order -Where to use and why

• 3 March 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Do you have experience about Purchase Order Change Order, I just took a first look on that and would like to hear for what purpose it’s used and what are the benefits to use it, or is it so that it’s created automatic when some changes made in PO, so it’s more or less like information. Thanks in advance for your help.

7 replies

Userlevel 4

If you use Po authorization and need to change these authorized orders, you might need to use change orders.

Also in case if you want to have more structured way to keep track of order changes.

That is also tool to control PO revision handling.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

We didn’t design our process around Purchase Order Change orders, but we find that occasionally we will be forced to use a change order.

Most of our purchase order rules are set to Allow Changes Within Order Amount, and i believe a change order will be created when a change is made to an already authorized PO that increases the order value.

However, i haven’t taken the time to investigate this fully and the help text is a little sparse. I would also be keen to learn from others with knowledge in this area what the triggers might be for a change order and whether there are any parameters to control this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

Yes, we require PO Change Orders to be used for changes to all Purchase Orders.  This records all changes to the PO and who did them which is important for not only traceability but for accuracy.  They can be set to required or optional, ours are required for all sites.  For intersite connected PO-CO orders, some changes are recorded automatically, some require manual updates. The use of confirmations will also record a revision of the Purchase Order which is useful for measuring or quantifying what was requested from a supplier versus what was promised by the supplier.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi,

I have used this functionality several times. This is more about how the business wants to control their procurement and keep track of all changes that are done. This goes very well together with Authorization rules, thereby the hierarchy can be defined to limit the user from making autonomous purchase decisions including reopening a PO. One example is there are companies who uses 4 eyes principle which means no single person can make buying action without the knowledge of another employee or the manager. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

We use POs and POCOs, with approval rules in Apps 8. When a POCO is raised, it goes through the entire approval process again, even for a small change in value. Anyone know of a way round this ?

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

We use POs and POCOs, with approval rules in Apps 8. When a POCO is raised, it goes through the entire approval process again, even for a small change in value. Anyone know of a way round this ?

In the PO Authorization rule under the General tab, there is a checkbox named ‘Valid for Change Order Authorization’. If you untick this, the authorization is not required in the POCO.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15
  • A Purchase Order Change Order is used to manage changes to a released and authorized Purchase Order. 
  • The Purchase Order Change Order allows you to keep track of changes made between Purchase Order Revisions and to invoke Authorization for these changes.
  • The option to enforce Change Management on a Purchase Order can be set per Site, but can be overridden per individual Supplier.
  • The Change Order shows the quantities and amounts of the changed fields.
  • It has its own Change Number for reference. 
  • PO Change Order has its own flow, using its own statuses: Planned, Released, Authorized, PO Updated, Cancelled
  • Once the Change order is in the status Released, the changes can be replicated to the Purchase Order. RMB in the header and select ‘Update  Purchase Order’.

Hope this will help you.