What’ the origin of MCH codes?

• 11 March 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I’ve heard that the origin lies in the Swedish nuclear management programme, back in the 1980s, but don’t know if this is just a rumor or not.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I’m not sure what you mean Andre...the Object ID field being called MCH_CODE?

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

I always used to say “emm see age code”, and thought it was a strange name, until someone, not long ago (perhaps it was you, Jerry), said in a phone call: “machine code”. Of course! :-) I have no idea about the history though. @JoScSe might be able to tell us…

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Funny with people looking into the actual code on the deepest level. This name of the column comes actually already from the early start of IFS Maintenance 1.0 where we only had a swedish version of the application. In swedish the column those days had the name “Maskin/Apparatbeteckning” (freely translated: Machine designation/Device Designation :-)), for short it was MCH_CODE. But to be honnest the first table name was just M and the column called A but when we turned the system into version 2.0 we changed it to MCH_CODE. I attached a blurry picture from the early screen of the system. I hope this history lession explained it good enough.

“Back to the tent” 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Thanks Johnny!  I love learning the history of the software.

and I was right for the most part, MCH stands for machine Mathias :slight_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Thanks for the history lesson, @JoScSe :)

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I thank you, JoScSe (Tack)!