Question

Changing a serial number on a serial object

• 20 July 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Does anyone know how to change a serial number on a serial object after it already has history against it? 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

RMB Option Rename is available in Part Master Data\Master Part\Part/Lot Tracking\Part Serial window.

But as far as I’m aware, serial can only be renamed if the part serial is in inventory and also if not used in service management (i.e. no serial object created).

Hence if it is really needed to rename, a data repair will have to be done, but then again we should be cautious if a large number of transactions has been performed on this serial.

The same applies for other kinds of connected objects, like VIM for example. Allowing changing the serial number of parts connected to objects as a core fix would require a major correction, both code wise and testing wise. This is a restriction in the functionality.
However, if no transactions on the object has been performed, after the inventory part has been made maintenance aware (and the number of the part serial cannot be changed), query for the Serial Object and delete it. There will be an information message saying that the Part Serial will not be removed. After this has been done, it’s possible to change the serial number. The final step is to once again make the part maintenance aware. (however several constraints are involved here as well, hence you might get some error messages)

Badge +2

RMB Option Rename is available in Part Master Data\Master Part\Part/Lot Tracking\Part Serial window.

But as far as I’m aware, serial can only be renamed if the part serial is in inventory and also if not used in service management (i.e. no serial object created).

Hence if it is really needed to rename, a data repair will have to be done, but then again we should be cautious if a large number of transactions has been performed on this serial.

The same applies for other kinds of connected objects, like VIM for example. Allowing changing the serial number of parts connected to objects as a core fix would require a major correction, both code wise and testing wise. This is a restriction in the functionality.
However, if no transactions on the object has been performed, after the inventory part has been made maintenance aware (and the number of the part serial cannot be changed), query for the Serial Object and delete it. There will be an information message saying that the Part Serial will not be removed. After this has been done, it’s possible to change the serial number. The final step is to once again make the part maintenance aware. (however several constraints are involved here as well, hence you might get some error messages)

In IFS or any other ERP any data been in Historical are restricted to be changed. That’s the point.

What is the case are you into Kelli?

Badge +2

ThiliniK, that is a great answer as long as there are no humans working at your company.

The point I would like to make is that humans make mistakes, regularly, even on serial numbers and even after they have been used in transactions. Flipping 2 digits, missing a digit or just misreading something.  Sometimes sadly mistakes are discovered even after they have been used in many transactions, but very commonly after the object is used in service management in 1 or 2 work orders. My company is a long time user of IFS and tracking many thousands of serial parts/serial objects, so you can imagine how many times we have needed a data repair - I can’t even count. Our users think it’s a big shortcoming in IFS not to be able to correct a serial number nicely through the system, recording the history of the change!

Badge +3

ThiliniK, that is a great answer as long as there are no humans working at your company.

The point I would like to make is that humans make mistakes, regularly, even on serial numbers and even after they have been used in transactions. Flipping 2 digits, missing a digit or just misreading something.  Sometimes sadly mistakes are discovered even after they have been used in many transactions, but very commonly after the object is used in service management in 1 or 2 work orders. My company is a long time user of IFS and tracking many thousands of serial parts/serial objects, so you can imagine how many times we have needed a data repair - I can’t even count. Our users think it’s a big shortcoming in IFS not to be able to correct a serial number nicely through the system, recording the history of the change!

We have a similar issue but we re-use units and need to keep the same serial number but change the part numbers and still keep its history. We could do this on our previous system but cannot on IFS. Our company also sees this as a very big shortfall on IFS.