Question

Help : Define an inventory part as Serial Object and Fixed Asset

• 19 May 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi everyone,

I would like your help regarding inventory part and fixed asset.

My client purchases Fixed Assets and store it in warehouse. Then it is issued on Material Requisition if needed in the equipement structure and / or Maintenance can be performed on them while in warehouse.

Do you know how to define an inventory part as a Fixed asset and as a Serial Object as well ?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @BeaFannDe ,

An Inventory Part can be connected to a Serial Object by the below field in General tab in Serial Object record.

But, it looks into the Parts (master part) records, so will have to make sure we are selecting an inventory part.

However, I cannot find a way to connect Inventory Part record to a Fixed asset. There is a Inventory tab in the Fixed asset object, which will make it consider as an inventory object, but it does not create an inventory part record.

Thank you and Best Regards

Thushitha

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @BeaFannDe ,

Adding to Thushitha’s comment you can deiced whether you are going to define it as a Functional Object or a Serial Object. (If the object is not frequently changing it’s parent we can define it as a functional object).

Incase you are going to define it as a Serial Object There can be several ways of attaining that. One way is as highlighted by Thushitha to directly create the object from Serial Object window.

The next method is that you can use Serial Maintenance Aware functionality.

There you can flagged the Maintenance Aware tick box & save the records or RMB & select make maintenance aware to get generate a Serial Object.

Maintenance Aware functionality will helpful for you to generate Serial Objects while they are being in the inventory. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Here by I would like to extend my reply by looking at the above answers It is clear that both scenarios mentioned below can be handled,

1. Maintaining them in the facility/equipment structure - by issuing as materials via a WO (Current Position = Infacility)
  2. Maintain them in the Warehouse - By making them “Maintenances Aware” (Current Position = In Inventory)

Fixed Asset Object Connection-

At both instances a Serial Object record is created. Here the ‘Fixed Asset Object’ connection can be done by using the Code Part Information. (Serial Object/ Code Part Information). By this way it is possible to connect/defines a Fixed Asset with a maintenance aware  inventory part.  

Refer the below images please,

1. Create Fixed Asset Object

2. Make Maintenance Aware of the Inventory Part (10600010-121)

3. Part Serial  Current Position ((10600010-121)

4. Relevant Serial Object Record /Code Part Info.(10600010-121)- FA Object Connection

Does this flow satisfy your business requirement.?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thank you all for your reply. 

Unfortunately, even with those flows, I can not buy an inventory part and select a Fixed asset as pre posting. It does not take it unless I have my inventory part under “company rental” ownership. “Company rental” ownership allows us to write a FA transaction but no inventory transaction.

But by doing so, “company rental” ownership, I can not use the inventory part on a work order, nor define it as a serial object through maintenance awareness and connect the FA code part info.

Is it possible to define an inventory part as “company rental” ownership and request it on a wo ?

Thanks again.

Best regards,

BeaFannDe

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @BeaFannDe 

Please see the attached document “Activating Rotable pool Object” and see if that helps you.

Best Regards,